K-Tec

Congratulations to Mike Foylan

More
8 years 11 months ago #104080 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Congratulations to Mike Foylan
Well done Mike, kudos to you! Onwards and upwards. :)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #104081 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Congratulations to Mike Foylan
Well done Mike! Great work!
I'd be interested in seeing your submission.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scfahy

More
8 years 11 months ago #104083 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Congratulations to Mike Foylan
Hi Guys, many thanks,

Star GSC 5065-218 located in the constellation of Ophiuchus was serendipitously discovered recently while measuring for photometric purposes Minor Planet 3492 Petra-Pepi which was observed originally from Cherryvalley Observatory in May and June of 2011. It was during a testing software routine within MPO Canopus on the June 2011 data when the discovery was made.

Back in 2011 Cherryvalley was only becoming established and submitting astrometric measurements to the MPC. In 2012, Cherryvalley Observatory undertook additional work in photometry on minor planets, I thought I would look at the selection of older minor planet data that I did not worked on for photometric purposes and see for the first time if any photometric data could be extracted and that’s when you come across situations where you say, “Oh, that’s funny”. One of the stars seem to display a ~0.5 magnitude dip, so just to be sure of my own basic analysis I checked the AAVSO VSX database and sure enough no variable star was listed for that precise location and an email was sent to Mr. Brian D. Warner (author of MPO Canopus software) of the Centre for Solar System Studies - Palmer Divide Station, USA and he quickly replied to say “that looks interesting” and he would free a scope for observations on the star in question. A few days later Brian kindly sent me on all his observations and confirmed it was a variable star and probably an eclipsing binary

Next step was to contact the B.A.A. (British Astronomical Association of which Cherryvalley Observatory is affiliated) and informing them of the discovery. Mr. Roger Pickard of the Variable Star Section sent out an alert requesting observations. Although there is only tentative data at the moment the star seems to be an eclipsing binary classed as an “EA” type, The B.A.A.’s describes such a system as…

EA Systems - Algol Type Systems
These are systems in which the light curve shows little variation outside of eclipses. If
there is a significant difference in brightness between the two stars the primary minimum will be marked whereas the secondary minimum may not be observable visually.
The stars in an EA system are spherical and may be well separated or ʻ detachedʼ. They may also be ʻ semi-detachedʼ. In this case there will usually be a mass transfer taking place between the stars of the system. The periods of an EA system can vary from a fraction of a day to years.

So what next? There is an involved process with the AAVSO in submitting a new variable star discovery which needs to be worked through and of course observations from any variable star observers is most welcomed as the exact lightcurve and period needs to be secured.

I would not be at this stage it wasn’t for the help of Mr. Brian D. Warner and Mr. Roger Pickard which to both I am greatly indebted and to Mr. Dave McDonald whom has walked this path before and shown the way for Irish amateur astronomers.

Here is the preliminary lightcurve and finder charts
flic.kr/p/sfAn1w
flic.kr/p/tcmbVh
flic.kr/p/tcDrsP

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Graham, Al costello, Joergn

More
8 years 11 months ago #104086 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Congratulations to Mike Foylan
Mike - the curve you posted looks really good. Its a busy star field alright but well within the capability of a lot of amateurs. Hopefully, enough additional data will be added soon enough to have the EA formally catalogued.

I forget the precise details of communicating with AAVSO but it was easy enough. I registered my details for the VSX database and just uploaded all the data I had. It *is* peer reviewed so I recall it taking a little bit of time for the formal classification to come through. My memory is a bit hazy but I'm pretty sure I worked through Brian Warner too and he put me in touch with one of the AAVSO folks who also guided me on what to do. Brian is a superb resource and any dealings I've had with him, he bent over backwards to help.

Oh yes - I had the "oh, that's funny" moment too! Its so true though...

And you are very kind to mention the path you followed - though I too was also following in the footsteps of others - notably Eamonn Ansbro, others on these board and in Ireland and some international amateurs too. Hopefully, I can resume my journey in the not too distant future. And collaboration with folks such as yourself and others here would be a wonderful thing.

Well done again Mike - richly deserved for the work you've put in over the years. You must be very satisfied.

Dave

More
8 years 11 months ago #104091 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Congratulations to Mike Foylan
Congratulations to you Mike ! Not an easy achievement to reach, well done !

Keith..

More
8 years 11 months ago #104095 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Congratulations to Mike Foylan
Congratulations Mike. I'm strictly a hobbyist and am in awe of the serious work that you and a group of other dedicated observers are doing.

Mike

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds