K-Tec

Observatory code awarded from minor planet centre

More
8 years 6 months ago #104997 by Fermidox

dmcdona wrote: June 2006 – J61 (Brownstown, Meath): Kevin ???

That's Kevin Sweeney, some fine images on there -

www.sweeneysite.com/

I suppose Markree shouldn't really be listed anymore, being in the same category as eg Daramona and Sherrington.

Regards, Finbarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scfahy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #104998 by dmcdona
Thanks for that Finbarr - I just couldn't remember his surname - Apologies Kevin. As regards Markree, it retains an observatory code and once an observatory code is given, the geographical location and observatory name remains in the IAU list permanently. Daromona (which I've heard of) has no listing and neither does Sherrington - which I've never heard of. If you have any info about either, I think they should be added to the list.

I also note that I omitted Kieran Rooney's name from An Carraig - the first amateur observatory in Northern Ireland. And I also omitted Albert White's Observatory (sorry Al) which took the amateur observatory tally in Ireland into double figures.

The updated (but possibly not comprehensive) list is as follows:

IAU Observatories
Up to 2006
981 Armagh
982 Dunsink (Dublin)
977 Markree (Sligo)
March 2006 – J65 (Celbridge, Kildare): Dave McDonald
May 2006 – J62 (Kingsland, Roscommon): Eamonn Ansbro
June 2006 – J61 (Brownstown, Meath): Kevin Sweeney
September 2007 – J41 (Raheny, Dublin): Dave Grennan
January 2009 – J16 (An Carraig, Down): Kieran Rooney
May 2009 – J09 (Balbriggan, Dublin): Carl O'Beirnes
October 2010 – I90 (Blackrock Castle, Cork): <insert Director's name>
October 2010 – I87 (Astroshot, Kildare): Michael O'Connell
February 2011 – I83 (Cherryvalley, Meath): Mike Foylan
September 2013 - Z72: Cademuir Observatory, Dalkey: Albert White
May 2015 - Z56 (Knocknaboola, Killorglin, Kerry): Pat Grandfield

Other Observatories
Birr (Offaly)
Sherrington (Bray)
Daramona (Co. Westmeath)
Crawford (UCC)
Imbusch (NUIG)
Monck (TCD)
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by dmcdona. Reason: Updated list - Z56 Month added
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery

More
8 years 6 months ago #105001 by Fermidox
Dave, I got the information from this Orbit article -

www.irishastrosoc.org/orbit/articles/irish.htm#3

Daramona was in Westmeath and Sherrington in Bray. Of course Birr Castle doesn't have a code either so I'd be curious to know when Markree was added.

Finbarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery, dmcdona

More
8 years 6 months ago #105002 by dmcdona
Excellent article - there is a lot there I didn't know. I mentioned Cork - a good few years ago when I gave a talk there, one of the Cork folks showed me an observatory in the University grounds (if I recall). I wonder what that was called?

I do recall reading that at a point in time, all the known "professional" observatories (presumably active as well) were given codes by the IAU (or whatever they were a called back then) without any need to follow a procedure. I don't know at what point in time the procedure came into being. So, perhaps Markree was late enough (i.e. post dating Birr) and active enough that it was just given a code. The others without codes were presumably too early (pre-dating any kind of organised astronomical union) or were not active enough - at least in terms of formally providing data.

The IAU lists themselves don't give any "inauguration" date though the data for those that followed the latter procedure would be in the MPC somewhere - that of itself would show the initial data submission including the Julian date. Then there would be an ACK (acknowledgement), itself dated that would give the precise date.

I doubt they have the recorded the dates when the likes of Dunsink, Markree, Armagh, Greenwich etc. were given codes - though the MPC can be very surprising. I bet its in a book somewhere but unlikely to come up in a Google search.

Sound like a great research project for someone to update the Orbit article is in the offing...

Very interesting and thanks again for the link.

Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery, Fermidox

More
8 years 6 months ago #105005 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Observatory code awarded from minor planet centre
Congratulations Pat and many thanks for sharing that wonderful news Paddy.

Cheers Dave for keeping a tally of who has an observatory code. The spot in Cork is Crawford Observatory which is in the grounds of University College Cork and has a Grubb telescope.

I was visiting the site of Daramona in Co. Westmeath on February 1st, 2003 when I got a call about the Columbia space shuttle being lost on re-entry. I've seen copies of the original plates taken by Wilson and they are incredible photos for their time.

atb and say hi to Fiona for me,

John

More
8 years 6 months ago #105007 by dmcdona
Hi John - thanks for the name for Cork - I recall it now. What plates did Wilson take? Sound interesting.

Here's another for you (or anyone else) - I recall the name of "Imbusch" - I think that may have been the observatory name for the NUIG observatory...

Fiona sends you a big hug!

Dave

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds