Lough Dan Scout Centre

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
7 years 6 months ago #106133 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Lough Dan Scout Centre
I am due to meet with Zef at 10.30 on Sunday morning. If anyone wants to come down with me I can meet you in Roundwood village at 10 and I can drive you down to show the way.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #106134 by RandomPillars
Replied by RandomPillars on topic Lough Dan Scout Centre
Sorry Paul- I'd defo go with you if i could but I'm child-managing most of Sunday. Anyone else who can go????

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
7 years 6 months ago #106135 by lunartic_old
I went down to see Zef, who runs the Lough Dan Scout Centre in Wicklow, with the intention of asking for the use of the centre for astronomical use, observing and photography. The man was a pleasure to talk to and was only too eager to allow access to the site.
Lough Dan Scout Centre sits in the heart of the Wicklow Mountains National Park and boasts dark skies. There are a couple of places to set up equipment, in the centre itself, this has a rough car park and nearby field. There is also a field a little way up the road that is accessible and only a single dwelling nearby.
The Scout Centre operates as a dark sky centre, so they are sensitive about lighting, see here:
www.loughdan.com/?page_id=1017
Here is a Google maps image of the site which really shows its suitability as a dark sky site:
www.google.ie/…/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4867a34f5…
Lough Dan is 5 kilometres from Roundwood in Co Wicklow and well signposted. It is a busy place, but should be no problem for observers and photographers to access, it would be a good opportunity to show cubs and scouts some of the wonders of the night sky. In the winter months the activity eases down.
To book a night you log onto the website: www.loughdan.com and book in as a day visitor, there is no charge.
The site is sheltered by trees and the wind will not be too much of a problem.
I look forward to making use of this wonderful location.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Kinch, flt158

More
7 years 6 months ago #106151 by RandomPillars
Wow i am late with this post. Meant to get back here ages ago. That's super well played Paul. Can't wait for someone to organise a night up there so we can give it a good run through.

Sean

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
7 years 6 months ago #106153 by lunartic_old
Seeing how the weather plays out we might think of heading down there next weekend, Friday or Saturday week.

Rich Cook

More
7 years 6 months ago #106154 by RandomPillars
Great. Well let us all know here if you are planning a night. I'll get down if at all possible

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds