K-Tec

Open Invitation to EAE Summer Star Parties-Mt Parnon, GREECE

More
16 years 1 month ago #64855 by michaeloconnell
Ok, just checked: with Czech Airlines, it's 215euro for a one-way trip from Dublin to Athens and 258euro for a return trip. Only one flight from Athens a day and that's at 4:30am. :-(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #64862 by nectarine
This sounds like a great weekend and I could probably go June or July - only problem really is I'd prob have to stay in Dublin on the Sunday night (no flights from Cork to Athens!)
Camping sounds like a good idea and could easily pack small tent into the suitcase.
Many thanks to EAE and Vagelis for the invite - might opt for the June weekend, travelling Aer Lingus from the Weds to the Monday - stay in Athens Wed night if needs be and Dublin on the Monday night. Best have a chat with the family and make sure I'm allowed a few days off......

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

More
16 years 1 month ago #64904 by Seanie_Morris
Wow, sounds great (plus, the amount of information given in this thread? Crazy).

Plus, no Bears, no Seanie restrictions, and, unfortunately, no Russian babes.

:D

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 1 month ago #64914 by ayiomamitis

Plus, no Bears,

We lost the bears when they heard you may be coming! :mrgreen:

no Seanie restrictions,

Hhhmm, we must revisit the draft document earlier on in this thread. Damn oversights! :P

and, unfortunately, no Russian babes.

Many east European countries use Greece as a gateway and entry point into the EU ... and they decide to stay once they see our beautiful country. So as not to "dilute" the standards any further, I will not proceed any further in relation to the above (erroneous) assumption. :wink:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 1 month ago #64918 by james335k
Hi Vagelis,
Thank you so much for the kind offer! I would love to come over for the july session if at all possible.

Best regards

James Kelly.

• Vagelis Tsamis
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 1 month ago #64919 by Vagelis Tsamis
Some more ideas/info:

1. The best month is July because we can form a stronger "greek suppport team", we will have plenty of days, and the weather conditions are expected to be 99.99% good. The refuge will be open from Wednesday and on.
2. In August, the refuge will open from Thursday and on. But camping for 1 day (Wednesday) is an option.
3. In June, the days available for the star party will be limited to Friday night and Saturday night, and the support team will be smaller.

In June usually we are 10-15 observers, 60-120 in July and 40-80 in August.

Most EAE observers arrive at the observing site on Friday and some on Saturday. Almost all leave on Sunday.

We (our support team and you) can drive to the observing site on Wednesday or Thursday, enjoy the magical sound of silence for 2 or 1 days and nights, and then it gets crowdy and we have a plenty of telescopes of all types and sizes, etc, etc...

I would like to point out that even if the weather sometimes is not as good as expected and no observation is possible, nobody ever left this place dissapointed. It is a beautiful place.

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds