K-Tec

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

More
13 years 2 months ago #88320 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: I83 Cherryvalley Observatory
Mike - your words are so true - obtaining a code is certainly within the reach of a good few people on the boards. But I must say that (and I think Michael O'C alluded to this) it is not an end in itself. The concept of an (official) observatory is that it has initially provided data that meets or exceeds the requirements of the MPC and, more importantly, it continues to do so. Otherwise I guess it is no more than a "trophy" Observatory.

The point is, that those who have striven to obtain the code - and don't underestimate the hard graft involved, nor think it is unsurmountable - have longer term aims in mind. In my case, photometry of solar system objects is the niche I've chosen. So far so good, but sloooowww... Others may choose NEOS, still others choose other objects (variable stars, supernova etc).

But once you are on the footing of providing science confidently, I think it opens up a whole new world of astronomy.

And yes Eamonn I got the J65 code with a C8! And a great little telescope it was too - I still have it and you never know, I may get it back into service at some point...

I must, at some point, parse the obsrvaotries out there and see where Ireland lies in the league table - I'd say you might be right!

Once again Mike - many congratulations.
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
13 years 2 months ago #88324 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: I83 Cherryvalley Observatory
Well done Mike all your hard work has paid off. What field will be entering NEO's,S/N variable stars. The most important thing is just have some fun what ever you deside to do.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
13 years 2 months ago #88325 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Re: I83 Cherryvalley Observatory
Cheers Dave.

Hi Carl, I plan to increase the amount of high quality astrometry submissions from here on in. I am definitely thinking of providing variable star data to the AAVSO; they seem to have a good support structure in place with plenty of help available to those starting out in this field of work. I have the equipment to do this work; I just need to learn the specifics and then put it to practice to eventually submit useful data and your right it has been good fun and satisfying thus far, as the saying goes; “the sky is the limit”.
Now, if only those pesky clouds could take a long holiday I would be happier.

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
13 years 2 months ago #88326 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re: I83 Cherryvalley Observatory
That's super news , congratulations well done. You make it sound very inviting indeed.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Vice Chair IFAS

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
13 years 2 months ago #88330 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: I83 Cherryvalley Observatory
Absolutely fantastic news Mike. Thoroughly well deserved. Looking forward to seeing lots of results from irelands newest observatory.

Dave.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
13 years 2 months ago #88331 by mjc
Replied by mjc on topic Re: I83 Cherryvalley Observatory
Well done Mike!

I'm chuffed for you - keep up the good work.

Mark C.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds