K-Tec

Impromptu Session

More
9 years 3 months ago #102906 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Impromptu Session
Let me just check, Sean. It is a 12" Newtonian you have, isn't it? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last winter, I tried on 2 attempts to spot the Crab from my backyard with my 158mm apo, and it just would not appear at my eyepiece. All the field stars were present; but Struve 742 was my only prize. By the way, I had previously seen M1 with a previous 8.75" reflector during the 1990's and the 2000's. I doubt very much if I will ever observe the Nebula from my new home. Still I am thrilled I can tick the box again.

Although, you did not challenge me directly to hunt for it, I do thank you for giving the opportunity to suss out my observational skills!

Aubrey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RandomPillars
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
9 years 3 months ago #102920 by RandomPillars
Replied by RandomPillars on topic Impromptu Session
Well glad i was of use Aubrey :-)

Yes, I've a 12" Meade LB. I'm going to give M1 another go this week (Moonless). Also, i haven't had a chance to have a look at comet lovejoy yet. Have you had a look for it Aubrey? Is it worth it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

More
9 years 3 months ago #102922 by flt158
I do hope you see M1 again, Sean. Please do describe the sky conditions if you do see it. Also you might state what magnification you will have used on it. Thanks.

And oh yes, Comet Lovejoy is worth it. You may check it out on the other posts on this website what other people think of it.
It is probably at its brightest right now.It is very easy to find in eastern Aries too, and it is heading up to the brilliant double star Gamma Andromedae (Almach) for February 4th. Do not expect to see any colour of tail; but do report if you see either. The magnitude is about +4 at present. Its distance is less than 44 million miles away.

Aubrey.

• RandomPillars
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
9 years 3 months ago #102924 by RandomPillars
Great thanks for that Aubrey. I may even head up to sugar loaf tonight. Conditions earlier weren't too bad. Ill check the forecast in a while and see if i can find my long johns!!!

Gotta try see those two objects. Ill post if i do go up.

• RandomPillars
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
9 years 3 months ago #102925 by RandomPillars
On second thought- the weather maybe wont be as good as i had hoped. :-(

More
9 years 3 months ago #102926 by flt158
Sean, I would have to buy a new very warm coat and something like 5 layers underneath if I was to head up to the Sugarloaf ever again. I have just recovered from a 3 day old common cold; it's that wind chill factor that causes me to suffer. I am planning a visit to 53 degrees north clothes shop within the next couple of weeks.

Clear skies,

Aubrey.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds