K-Tec

Venus-Jupiter Conjunction of June 30th/July 1st

More
8 years 9 months ago #104370 by flt158
Thank you, Stevie, for your infiltration.
This may come as a surprise to you. My wife Valerie and I have booked a hotel north of Belfast during the 2nd week in August. We would like to spend one night observing the Perseids. I see by your NIAAS website that you have gone to the Killylane reservoir to see the meteors. Are you considering doing so again this year?

Clear skies to you, Stevie.

Aubrey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #104371 by stevie
There has been talk of an observing session and barbecue for the Perseids Aubrey, but, most of the hardcore observers will actually be in Kerry for the Skelligs star party. I have to say we have not had much luck in recent years, mainly due to the usual cloudy conditions.

But feel free to keep your eye on the forum nearer the time, and you will both be more than welcome to come along.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by stevie.

More
8 years 9 months ago #104373 by flt158
Thank you Stevie.

Right now, I have the scope set up in the backyard on Thursday 2nd July. I have already spotted Venus and Jupiter. Both are clearly visible in both my guidescope at 11X and in the main scope at 40X. I do have 2 inch eyepieces fitted. They are less than 1 degree apart. At present, we have clear skies over Dublin. The winds are dying down too.

Aubrey.

More
8 years 9 months ago #104374 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Venus-Jupiter Conjunction of June 30th/July 1st
Just observed the pair with my binos, it's remarkable how quickly Jupiter is whizzing past Venus, kind of reminds me of New Horizons, a big build up and then it's over so quick.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, flt158

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #104375 by flt158
Or is it the other way around, Paul -Venus whizzing past Jupiter?
Nice sight though. Venus is a seriously nice crescent. It is heading in a easterly direction towards Regulus.

Aubrey.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by flt158.

More
8 years 9 months ago #104376 by Paul Evans
Replied by Paul Evans on topic Venus-Jupiter Conjunction of June 30th/July 1st
When you're up this way Aubrey, don't forget to pop in our Perseid Barbeque which is likely to be at Delamont Country Park near Killyleagh, SE of Belfast - we're keeping the date a little flexible so as to go for the best weather. It's always a jolly gathering, Terry, myself and probably a few others you know will be there. Keep an eye on our website irishastro.org for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds