K-Tec

Favourite Observations of 2017

More
6 years 3 months ago #106912 by Paddy Stack
Replied by Paddy Stack on topic Favourite Observations of 2017
My memories of observing during 2017 are more humble than Aubreys and Finbarrs ! Thanks to both of you for those lovely reports. Apart from the thin creasant Venus, two things stick out.

1. The total solar eclipse from Missouri. I viewed it west of St. Louis as I was visiting relatives. I was taking a chance as that region can get clouds and it poured rain the next day ! Anyhow, as luck would have it, we had a great view. During totality, the "black eye of Sauran" looked down on us and seemed 3D . I was not expecting that. I think because the moon is also being illuminated with earth shine it didn't just appear as a black hole in the Corona. It seems to stick out by itself and the corona was behind it. Also seeing the magnetic field lines in the corona through my 20X80 binoculars was very nice.

2. We had a lovely view of Neptune during a club observation session in September. Neptune was perfectly positioned. The seeing was very good. Its always nice to get good views of Neptune, however I was surprised at how many newer club members had either not seen Neptune before or were not 100% sure that what they had been looking at in the past was Neptune. It was very satisfying.

Regards,

Paddy.
KAC

Paddy.
kerryastronomyclub.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, mariosi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #106913 by Paddy Stack
Replied by Paddy Stack on topic Favourite Observations of 2017
and Johns !

Paddy.
kerryastronomyclub.com

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #106914 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Favourite Observations of 2017
It has to be the September full moon, Sandra and I were sitting at a roadside restaurant in Rome, the moon had risen above the buildings at the end of the road, it was a beautiful yellow colour, and it appeared wonderfully framed against the side of the Collesium. Unfortunately my camera was back about our accommodation.
Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by lunartic_old.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
6 years 3 months ago #106916 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Favourite Observations of 2017

Paddy Stack wrote: My memories of observing during 2017 are more humble than Aubreys and Finbarrs ! Thanks to both of you for those lovely reports. Apart from the thin creasant Venus, two things stick out.

1. The total solar eclipse from Missouri. I viewed it west of St. Louis as I was visiting relatives. I was taking a chance as that region can get clouds and it poured rain the next day ! Anyhow, as luck would have it, we had a great view. During totality, the "black eye of Sauran" looked down on us and seemed 3D . I was not expecting that. I think because the moon is also being illuminated with earth shine it didn't just appear as a black hole in the Corona. It seems to stick out by itself and the corona was behind it. Also seeing the magnetic field lines in the corona through my 20X80 binoculars was very nice.

2. We had a lovely view of Neptune during a club observation session in September. Neptune was perfectly positioned. The seeing was very good. Its always nice to get good views of Neptune, however I was surprised at how many newer club members had either not seen Neptune before or were not 100% sure that what they had been looking at in the past was Neptune. It was very satisfying.

Regards,

Paddy.
KAC

Hello, Paddy Stack.

I am so glad you got to see the Total Solar Eclipse in Missouri state.
And that you observed Neptune for maybe for the first time through a good telescope.

Please keep sending any future observations during 2018!

Clear skies,

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paddy Stack

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds