K-Tec

Sky Atlas 2000.0

More
20 years 7 months ago #613 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Sky Atlas 2000.0

Thanks Gordon. Much appreciated.
Now why can't everyone else in the country be as helpful as this great bunch of people? :)
Michael

Michael,

I forgot about this review I completed three years ago but it's as valid now as it was then.

SkyAtlas 2000.0, 2nd Edition Laminated Versions

Created by: Wil Tirion and Roger Sinnott
ISBN Desk : 0-933346-91-3 (Sky edition), 0 521 65432 7 (Cambridge edition)
ISBN Field : 0-933346-92-1 (Sky edition), 0 52165430 0 (Cambridge edition)
ISBN Deluxe: 0-933346-90-5 (Sky edition), 0 521 65434 3 (Cambridge edition)
Publisher: Sky Publishing Corporation & Cambridge University Press
Publication date: 1999
Size: Field/Desk – 18½ inches x 14 inches. Deluxe – 21 inches x 16 ¼ inches.

Will the continued onslaught of CD-ROM sky-mapping programs eventually cause the demise of printed atlases? Personally, I don’t think so and there is little evidence of it yet with excellent sales of the new printed atlases of unprecedented accuracy based on the Tycho and Hipparcos databases. I make extensive use of both mediums and would never dream of going out observing without my SkyAtlas 2000.0 in addition to any pre-compiled computer charts on particular objects. I’m sure most astronomers will agree that CD-ROM mapping software and the printed atlas are complementary to one another and co-exist very happily.

The laminated SkyAtlas 2000 2nd Edition atlases use the data from both the Tycho and Hipparcos Catalogues. These very accurate catalogues were produced in 1997 from the European Space Agency’s Hipparcos mission data. Tycho has highly accurate data on over one million stars down to magnitude 10.5 with a limiting magnitude of 11.5. Hipparcos has extremely accurate data on 118, 218 of those stars. In SkyAtlas 2000.0, 81,312 stars down to magnitude 8.5 are plotted on 26 charts. Computer graphics have allowed Tirion and Sinnott to plot a continuous progression of dot sizes for star magnitudes, resulting in very realistic starfields when compared to actual night sky views.

The laminated Field and Desk versions use a scale of 7.1 millimetres per degree. Both versions are spiral wirebound. The Field version displays white stars on a black background and the Desk version, black stars on a white background. Deep sky objects are portrayed with standard symbols, again outlined in white on the Field version and black on the Desk version. The Deluxe atlas symbol sizes relate to the sizes of the deep sky objects and are to scale for objects exceeding 10 arcminutes. In addition to the 26 main charts, 7 special interest charts are provided at higher scales. These are close-ups of regions such as the Pleiades, the Virgo Galaxy Cluster and the Belt and Sword of Orion. Both versions are identical except for the inverted colours. Don’t place too much emphasis on the nomenclature; it really is a matter of individual preference whether you feel more comfortable reading white on black charts or black on white. Personally, I prefer black stars and symbols on a white background as I find these easier to see at night.

The laminated Deluxe version really is a beautiful atlas. It comes with all the features of the Field and Desk atlases but at a larger 8.2 millimetres per degree scale and with colour-coded deep sky symbols and Milky Way. The coloured symbols make it easy to spot objects on the charts even at night while using a red light. These extra features combine to create a very user-friendly atlas.

The charts in all three versions are flat and bound across the top making them very easy to use in the field. Obviously, being laminated in clear plastic, the leaves are robust and protected from dirt or dew damage. Just a wipe from a damp cloth and the charts are as good as new again.

An extremely useful transparent overlay is included with each version. This shows right ascension and declination grids for measuring the coordinates of objects or plotting tracks, Telrad circles and stellar magnitude dots.

You now have a fantastic range of SkyAtlas 2000.0 atlases to choose from. No matter what version you opt for, rest assured you are getting a superb atlas that will last a lifetime.

© Copyright 2000 Gordon Nason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds