K-Tec

Sky Atlas 2000.0

More
20 years 7 months ago #602 by Paul Tipper
Replied by Paul Tipper on topic Re: Sky Atlas 2000.0

Personally, I would avoid the laminated field edition as white stars on a black background are extremely difficult to read at night. It may sound wrong but the preferred version for observing is actually the laminated desk edition with black stars on a white background. I use the standard deluxe edition because it utilises a larger scale and has coloured DSO symbols but I also have the laminated desk edition for dewy nights. I gave the laminated field version away as I found it more or less unusable although people with very young eyes may find it acceptable. The laminated deluxe edition is similar but doesn't fold so can be somewhat large and unwieldy. Haven't said that, it's a beautiful atlas.

Gordon

I guess the rationale behind the Field version goes as follows:
  • The Field version format (white stars on a black background) obviously bears the closest resemblance to what you actually see when you look up into the sky, simplifying as far as possible the task of correlating what's in the atlas with what you see with your eyes, finderscope or main tube, something that's not nearly as easy as it sounds.
  • The black background minimises disturbance of your night vision. If you're out under a nice, dark sky, it can take up to an hour for your eyes to reach maximum sensitivity, and so shining a torch (even a red one) onto a large white page might set your night-vision back a bit.

I haven't used the Desk version, so I can't honestly offer a direct comparison between using it and the Field version at night, but I've used made successful use of the Field version (with the help of a red torch!) on a number of occasions now.

Paul Tipper,
South Dublin Astro. Soc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 years 7 months ago #603 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Sky Atlas 2000.0
Interesting comments lads. I can see both sides of the story regarding whether the desk or field version is of more use when observing. I haven't seen any of them myself so can't say one way or the other. I'll just have to see them both at Birr and decide from there.
BTW, is the deluxe edition good for observing purposes as it has colour on it which would make difficult reading when under a red light. Is that correct or am I mistaken?
Amazon.com sell the second edition unlaminated spiral-bound deluxe version for $35.
Worth buying just for indoor use? I'd still get a laminated version for observing though as dew could do harm if you're out observing for more than a few hours.
Thanks for your replies,
Michael

More
20 years 7 months ago #604 by Paul Tipper
Replied by Paul Tipper on topic Re: Sky Atlas 2000.0
Michael,

I'll bring my Field version down to Birr so you can judge for yourself.

See you there!

Paul Tipper,
South Dublin Astro. Soc.

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 years 7 months ago #605 by michaeloconnell
Cool!...Thanks Paul!
Michael

More
20 years 7 months ago #608 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Sky Atlas 2000.0
Paul,

Just as well Sky Publishing produce so many editions - there's bound to be one that suits! I know guys who swear by the loose leaf editions - they laminate them individually and only bring the sheets they need for an observing session leaving the rest behind. That would only work though if one had a very dedicated target list.

As I mentioned, my favourite is the non-laminated deluxe edition as it utilises a larger scale than the laminated firld and desk editions, coloured symbols (no problem with them under a red light), and is easy to carry.

I'll be glad to show you the laminated desk edition next time we meet up.

Gordon

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 years 7 months ago #609 by michaeloconnell
Thanks Gordon. Much appreciated.
Now why can't everyone else in the country be as helpful as this great bunch of people? :)
Michael

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds