K-Tec

NGC7380 Wizard Nebula

More
7 years 7 months ago #106094 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic NGC7380 Wizard Nebula
Hi, Kinch.
I hope you are well and that this post will be sent to you via this unpredictable website.
It seems to crash now and again.
Anyway, unfortunately I have never observed STT 480. But I certainly have a great desire to do so.
I discovered its position with my Guide 8 programme which I have for a number of years now.
And I will seek out the other double close by.

By the way, can you fill me in on what is the designation for the star cluster that is associated with NGC 7380? Normally these have a different catalogue number.

Thank you, Kinch.

Aubrey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #106095 by Kinch
Replied by Kinch on topic NGC7380 Wizard Nebula
Aubrey,
I am away from home and good internet just now. Please be patient with me and I'll get back as soon as I can....but that might take me a couple of weeks.....I do not normally have all the information to hand when away fro my home computer.

More
7 years 7 months ago #106096 by flt158
That is okay, Kinch.

Thank you.
The weather here in Dublin is overcast anyway -probably for yet another week!
Rain is on the way.

Aubrey.

More
7 years 7 months ago #106098 by Kinch
Replied by Kinch on topic NGC7380 Wizard Nebula
Yes re the rain - I am sitting in Blackrock (Louth) looking out at the rain pouring down.

This was the extract from Wikipedia that I put on my website......it may be of help.

"NGC 7380 (also known as the Wizard Nebula) is an open cluster discovered by Caroline Herschel in 1787. William Herschel included his sister's discovery in his catalog, and labelled it H VIII.77. It is also known as 142 in the 1959 Sharpless catalog (Sh2-142). This reasonably large nebula is located in Cepheus. It is extremely difficult to observe visually, usually requiring very dark skies and an O-III filter."
Perhaps that answers your question.....I'll check further when I can other software that I have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

More
7 years 7 months ago #106099 by flt158
Yes -it does answer my question very well, Kinch!
Maybe the nebula has the Sharpless designation.
But that the open cluster has the designation NGC 7380 might be correct.
I will have no hope of the observing the Wizard Nebula. But I ought to have the opportunity of observing the cluster.
That is of southern part of Cepheus is not too high in altitude.
I have observed in the past Mu Cephei (the Garnet Star) which William Herschel discovered.
It is a beauty!

Thank you, Kinch for filling me in with Wikipedia information.

Keep on imaging,

Aubrey.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds