K-Tec

March 20th Solar Eclipse: What are clubs doing?

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #103248 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic March 20th Solar Eclipse: What are clubs doing?
Sorry I'm late to this but had to finalise things.

Shannonside Astronomy Club will be holding a public event for the eclipse in partnership with The Lough Gur Heritage Centre.
On the morning of the event we with gather inside the Great Grange Stone Circle .
Free event as per the norm, we will provide guided viewing with club scopes fitted with solar filters.
Shannonside have already sent a press release to all local papers and radio stations with a feature to appear in the Limerick Leader the week before, primarily to highlight the dangers associated with solar eclipse viewing.

Anthony, because of SAC's long history with Birr having run the Whirlpool Starparty there for many years we know the area quite well. Although we do not run an event there any more, I have taken many shots there on many occasions, long exposure and startrail. The location is heavily light polluted so it would be a challenge to say the least.
Here is a shot of the Leviathan I took a few years back. (processed to remove as much orange glow as possible)

I'll see if I can dig out any others to give you a better idea.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Frank Ryan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #103251 by nectarine
Replied by nectarine on topic March 20th Solar Eclipse: What are clubs doing?
As you know, DAS is no longer an active club, but I plan on setting up shop just off Dungarvan town square that morning for a bit of sidewalk astronomy. Eugene Burke will join me I hope.
On a good note, there is positive talk of DAS getting going again - will keep you posted.....

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris, michael_murphy

More
9 years 2 months ago #103254 by nectarine
Replied by nectarine on topic March 20th Solar Eclipse: What are clubs doing?
Don't forget that all paid up clubs (re: membership) will get 100 free solar shades before the eclipse.
It is really important that you all let me or Seanie know asap where you want your shades sent!
Thanks, B)

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

More
9 years 2 months ago #103271 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic March 20th Solar Eclipse: What are clubs doing?

Frank Ryan wrote: Anthony, because of SAC's long history with Birr having the Whirlpool Starparty there for many years we know the area quite well. Although we do not run an event there any more, I have taken many shots there on many occasions, long exposure and startrail. The location is heavily light polluted so it would be a challenge to say the least.
Here is a shot of the Leviathan I took a few years back. (processed to remove as much orange glow as possible)

I'll see if I can dig out any others to give you a better idea.

Frank, many thanks for the feedback. Such a shame not being able to use the very photogenic Leviathan as foreground for any such work due to light pollution!

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
9 years 1 month ago #103388 by markdj
I will be making a google map of public observing locations for the UK and Ireland available on my website stronge.org.uk this week.

I have put together the information I have currently.

www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zfzVFEizh4aE.kofp4XTq7dlQ

If you need anything changed or added, email me mark at stronge . org . uk
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave_lillis, michael_murphy

More
9 years 1 month ago #103389 by Paul Evans
Replied by Paul Evans on topic March 20th Solar Eclipse: What are clubs doing?
That's a genuinely useful piece of work Mark - you seem to have ours pretty much right.

Well done,

Paul.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds