K-Tec

Some interesting Jupiter moon/shadow transits

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #102982 by KevinSmith
Replied by KevinSmith on topic Some interesting Jupiter moon/shadow transits
What an event and clear skies for once!
Although the seeing was terrible it was a fantastic morning full of highs and lows. I was like a child on Christmas eve - only actually managed to get one hour sleep in before getting up at 2am to set up.
Once I opened the curtain and saw clear skies, the adrenaline pumped right through the early hours and on into dawn. The night had a little of everything - wind, no wind, fair seeing, very poor seeing, cloud, dew, fog, ice and a yelping neighbour’s cat for at least 2 hours! There are many ways to skin a cat but one would have done.
The funny thing was the 5 hour session felt like a 30min. Managed to image the spectacle early on but then the seeing it got really bad and of course Jupiter dropped lower to the west. Luckily I continued to keep the film rolling and got a few seconds break from bad seeing. Very happy with a little momento of what will most certainly be a highlight of the year (if not a lifetime ) for me.

Clear Skies!

Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by KevinSmith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fermidox, derek0207

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #102983 by KevinSmith
This is an interesting one - I used three sources of information and all of them showed me that there would be only 2 Moons and 3 shadows simultaneously visible on Jupiter with Io exiting transit before Europa entered transit but it was suggested to me today that my information was wrong and that there was indeed three simultaneous transits (his information was obtained from the farmers almanac). I dismissed this as a mistake until I see Johns comments on this post stating that you could see 3 moons and 2 shadows on the face of Jupiter at the one time. Can anyone confirm which is correct and what the most reliable source of information is? I might be surprised to find that my free Chinese iPhone app is actually not the most reliable source of Galilean moon transit times : )

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #102984 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic Some interesting Jupiter moon/shadow transits
Yes you're spot on Kevin; all 3 shadows from 6.26-6.52 and all 3 satellites from 7.08-7.12. I have a list of these events covering the years 1980-2040 and can't see a repeat performance during this timespan. Seems to me the rarity value of the 2nd triple transit was somewhat upstaged by the shadow dance.

Here's the reliable S&T utility:

www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-content/obser..._moons/jupiter.html#

And here's an amazing compilation:

spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=107810
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Fermidox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinSmith

More
9 years 3 months ago #102990 by KevinSmith
That’s interesting and I would say the discrepancy comes in due to the definition of ‘transit’ and whether it’s the full disc of the moon or whether a partial disc can be regarded as a transit? I notice on Skyweather they show the three moons albeit partially crossing Jupiter simultaneously - but they specifically name it a Triple Shadow Transit rather than a Triple Moon Transit.

More
9 years 3 months ago #102992 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic Some interesting Jupiter moon/shadow transits
Good point, I think the times quoted refer to first/last contact and with only a 4-minute window the discs would not be in full transit simultaneously.

It's a moot point for me anyway as Io in particular was difficult to pick out at any stage.

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #102995 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Some interesting Jupiter moon/shadow transits
Thats a nice pic Kevin.
I'm glad there are other people out there who get a kick out of seeing these events :-)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by dave_lillis.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds