K-Tec

Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips

More
7 years 11 months ago #105807 by JohnONeill
Hi,

I put one of my images of the Transit of Mercury on my website Variable Star Nights

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #105808 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
I only managed to get four separate views, the last being just before 6 this evening.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #105809 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Transit of Mercury May 9th 2016 - Safe Viewing Tips
It cleared up again for about 45 minutes at 5pm so I set up in the car park at work. I was so lucky with the weather and timing. So glad I didn't take a day off work (lunchtime and leaving time were good. I managed a few snaps this time even though it was quite windy.
Three achievements today

1. Got to see the transit
2 Took pictures of the transit
3. Got to let about 25 people look through a telescope for the first time at work. Public outreach duties complete.

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/268841...n/dateposted-public/

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/268847...n/dateposted-public/

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by johnomahony.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Kinch, flt158, yohan

More
7 years 11 months ago #105810 by yohan
Didnt have the day off so had to try get something during my lunch break. Eventually got a 3mn window, I used a fixed tripod and Canon 1100D with Skywatcher ST80 (400mm) attached - not the easiest setup!

Anyway, here's my effort for today, stack of 6 shots taken from Louth at 2.40pm today

[IMG
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, lunartic_old, johnomahony, Kinch, flt158

More
7 years 11 months ago #105812 by flt158
You probably did better than most, Paul. The weather in the south was only appalling

Aubrey.

lunartic wrote: I only managed to get four separate views, the last being just before 6 this evening.

Paul

More
7 years 11 months ago #105813 by Neill
Viewing conditions up North were pretty good much of the day. Got a look at the transit after work, through my ETX70 - the build up to the event said Mercury would be tiny on the disc, but I was surprised how small it actually was. Managed to get a grainy pic of it with my camera phone through a 9mm eyepiece, tricky enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds