K-Tec

RE-ENTRY ALERT

More
12 years 6 months ago #90949 by Neill
Replied by Neill on topic Re: RE-ENTRY ALERT
The ROSAT satellite is now predicted to re-entry the atmosphere around 1pm on Sunday +/- >=10 hours!! Given the uncertainty no idea yet of location.

From Space Weather

ROSAT DECAY UPDATE: The massive ROSAT X-ray space telescope continues to descend toward Earth. Latest estimates place the re-entry around noon Universal Time on Oct. 23rd. Uncertainties exceed 10 hours, which makes it impossible to say exactly where ROSAT will re-enter. Many sky watchers are seeing ROSAT in the night sky shining about as brightly as a 1st magnitude star. Check Spaceweather's Satellite Tracker for local flyby times.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #90957 by Neill
ROSAT DECAY UPDATE: The doomed ROSAT X-ray space telescope continues to descend toward Earth. Multiple experts agree that re-entry should occur on Oct. 23rd, with most favoring the early hours of the day. With uncertainties exceeding 8 hours, however, it is still impossible to say exactly where ROSAT will disintegrate.

Last night Michael Boschat saw ROSAT flying over Halifax, Nova Scotia. "Wow... it was moving fast and I did not have time to take a picture. It went from overhead to my tree horizon in about 10 seconds! The satellite was about as bright as a 1st-magnitude star." Other observers have submitted similar reports.

To see ROSAT, check Spaceweather's Satellite Tracker for local flyby times. You can also turn your smartphone into a field-tested ROSAT tracker.

More
12 years 6 months ago #90959 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: RE-ENTRY ALERT
Just looked at Heavens Above.
Looks like it will only pass over Ireland in the daytime for the next few days.
:-(

More
12 years 6 months ago #90960 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: RE-ENTRY ALERT
yea, saw that too, only thing is that if it entered the atmosphere over us, you might see it in daytime ??? what are the odds of that.....

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
12 years 6 months ago #90964 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: RE-ENTRY ALERT
You'd definatly see it.
You'd just have to go out and look roughly in the direction heavens above give.
Or - if you've got a scope that tracks...
shoot an AVI!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
12 years 6 months ago #91006 by Neill
It came down in the early hours of Sunday, the experts reckon it re-entered over Thailand.

ROSAT RE-ENTRY UPDATE: US Strategic Command has released an updated set of final orbital elements for ROSAT. Using these latest figures, German satellite decay expert Harro Zimmer estimates that the massive X-ray observatory re-entered Earth's atmosphere on Oct. 23rd at 01:56 UTC +/- 09. Best-fit coordinates (21.33°N, 100.32°E) suggest a re-entry over Northern Thailand.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds