K-Tec

Possible Aurora now/tonight

• daveg
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #90264 by daveg
Replied by daveg on topic Re: Possible Aurora now/tonight
Yep think it was clouded out here altogether.
BE careful reading the Kp index as it is a logrithmic average taken from mostly high latitude magnetometers. So a Kp of 8 may not necessarily mean aurorae over Ireland. The variations that I was getting while very obvious were not HUGE hence my retisence in my original post and why I say "may cause".
Also it was the wrong polarity (+) to really interact with the earths magnetic field. What we were seeing was the Earths mag field being "squashed" and "stretched".
Anyway I think I must have ben the only one to "see" it from ireland as I watched the laser pointer on my magnetometer dance all over the place.

heres the plot .... the normal diurnal pattern is a slow undulating "S" patern. The individual spikes are local interferences but the storm is obvious toward the right of the graph

My vlf monitor also showed some activity but this is still being calibrated so I wouldnt trust its data yet

Dave
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by daveg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #90274 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Possible Aurora now/tonight
Nothing in the midlands on Friday night, clouded out with a few breaks but I didn't spot anything.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
12 years 4 months ago #91743 by decco20
Replied by decco20 on topic Re: Possible Aurora now/tonight
Hi Guys, I would love to see it from a Northern latitude. I note Icelandair are running packages for a 3 night stay with a trip to a dark site location on 1 night out of the UK for under £400 which sounds good. Any advice on where and when would be a good location to see it?

Decco20

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds