K-Tec

Target List

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 5 months ago #54962 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Target List

Dave G - if we get this static list defined, could your app then pick out the targets currently observable?

Yep easy peasy. The current file posted in a previous post lists all galaxies as described, but there is no reason why we can't cut this down to a pre-defined list of galaxies and the app would function as normal listing the observable targets. I decided to re-write this using the dot net framework to avoid having to install un-necessary legacy runtime files. WIll be done in a day or two.

Just give me the names of the agreed targets and i'll generate a data file just for these ones only.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 5 months ago #54971 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Target List
Nice one - cheers Dave and thanks for spending the time doing this code. It is very much appreciated.

I think we should be aiming for a target list of 1000+ galaxies. The more targets we have the better chance we have of discovering a SN. That said, of course not all targets would be imageable throughout the year - but if we could have say 800+ imageable targets every day of the year, that would be a good sample I think (totally of the top of my head by the way :D ).

One more question Dave - is there any chance you could write the application so it can be accesed through the web? Or would it be a case of participants just downloading the app and running it locally? Your call...

Cheers and thanks again.

Dave

• DaveGrennan
More
16 years 5 months ago #54993 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Target List

If any image contains more than one galaxy (and the target galaxy isn't centred in the frame) then adding a position angle might help identify the target galaxy - however, that would also mean that you would have to give the orientation for every image also - i.e. "north up" or similar. Hopefully this won't be a problem.

Phil.

Phil the nice thing about ACP and Maxim software is they expose all aspects of your observatory and images to scripting. By making use of this you can pretty much do anything you like including adding text or drawing on images. However with ACP all of the targets should be perfectly centred as ACP uses pinpoint to plate solve each image and will re-centre if the error exceeds a perdefined threshold.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds