K-Tec

I found the gallery using a google search

More
17 years 1 month ago #42994 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: I found the gallery using a google search
Oh ... and the security problems come from the fact that the old systems relied on php having write access to disk. This is many shades of a bad idea. In more innocent times it was the norm, but we don't live in more innocent times anymore.

Also, there is no protection from direct linking on the old system and that is costing us a fortune in bandwidth.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #42995 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: I found the gallery using a google search
I think they might be worth keeping. Perhaps have someone sort though them into basic categories (deepsky/plaenatery/weather...) and use something like jalbum to create a permanent read only old archive of this stuff.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 1 month ago #42996 by voyager

I think they might be worth keeping. Perhaps have someone sort though them into basic categories (deepsky/plaenatery/weather...) and use something like jalbum to create a permanent read only old archive of this stuff.

Is that the sound of someone volunteering? ;)

More
17 years 1 month ago #42998 by mikkelbo
Replied by mikkelbo on topic Re: I found the gallery using a google search
Hi guys,

I don't have anything in the old gallery since I just joined the board, but I too think it is a shame if four years of memory/pictures just disappears. So I have an idea.

If the gallery is database driven, I presume that each entry (row) contains a file name of the picture plus all the meta info, correct? Then it should be possible to create a small script, in PHP or Perl or whatever, that goes through the database and creates a text file for each image file. The text file can then hold all the meta data in a clever format, e.g. XML or CSV, and the files will then be paired and identified by unique filenames. Then we can create a new gallery based on these picture/data file pairs.

The unique filenames can be achieved either by renaming all the files adding a counter (file id) or if a primary key is in use in the database then that can be included in the filename. If we change the filename of the picture we need of course to reflect that in the meta data text file.

Another way is to just "dump" (backup) the database. Is it MySQL? Then mysqldump() will do the trick.

My PHP skills are a bit rusty, but I'd like to offer my assistance. If I can get access to the database from remote I can try a few things. If not then I need to get a description of the table structure.

Mikkel Bo Rasmussen
SAC

More
17 years 1 month ago #43002 by voyager

Hi guys,

I don't have anything in the old gallery since I just joined the board, but I too think it is a shame if four years of memory/pictures just disappears. So I have an idea.

If the gallery is database driven, I presume that each entry (row) contains a file name of the picture plus all the meta info, correct? Then it should be possible to create a small script, in PHP or Perl or whatever, that goes through the database and creates a text file for each image file. The text file can then hold all the meta data in a clever format, e.g. XML or CSV, and the files will then be paired and identified by unique filenames. Then we can create a new gallery based on these picture/data file pairs.

The unique filenames can be achieved either by renaming all the files adding a counter (file id) or if a primary key is in use in the database then that can be included in the filename. If we change the filename of the picture we need of course to reflect that in the meta data text file.

Another way is to just "dump" (backup) the database. Is it MySQL? Then mysqldump() will do the trick.

My PHP skills are a bit rusty, but I'd like to offer my assistance. If I can get access to the database from remote I can try a few things. If not then I need to get a description of the table structure.

The files already have unique names so that much has been taken care of. If you PM me your email address I'll send you the mysqldump of the relevant tables.

Cheers,

Bart.

More
17 years 1 month ago #43010 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: I found the gallery using a google search
Yeah, I say let the meta data be lost! We can re-organise the files etc as we go along I think. Another team (not just an individual) would help that greatly.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds