K-Tec

Beginners astrophotography forum?

More
16 years 9 months ago #48011 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Beginners astrophotography forum?

Maybe more advice regarding processing for beginners on the AP section would be welcome!

Good idea.

Any of the more advanced folks feel like putting together a tutorial post about registax, photoshop,etc.? I know many of you use MaxImDL for processing, but a tutorial for basic photoshop would be helpful for those not wanting to invest (yet) in pro astronomy image software.

Cheers,
~Al

I put up a sticky in the astrophotography section a good while back on how to use registax,
www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=5655
I didnt get any feedback on changes people want, so I'm presuming its readable and usable ?? Anyone want to suggest improvements/changes, feel free to reply here or PM me. Has anyone read it?

Anyway, I fell abit surprised that people want to have a beginners section, we all started somewhere, and I don't think anyone gets ridiculed for putting any kind of astro image up. If we split the forum, so called advanced people might not go to the beginners section so the beginners might miss out on feedback that they might otherwise get.
I'm gonna put up atleast one M42 image over the following winter, others will have better images then me, but thats not what its all about.

If you want to have the best images in the group, then forget it, you will always find a better image somewhere else on the web and then there is the HST.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #48016 by mia
Replied by mia on topic Re: Beginners astrophotography forum?

I put up a sticky in the astrophotography section a good while back on how to use registax,
www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=5655
I didnt get any feedback on changes people want, so I'm presuming its readable and usable ?? Anyone want to suggest improvements/changes, feel free to reply here or PM me. Has anyone read it?

Dave, I do apologise, I've just joined and haven't had time to check out every post but yours is bookmarked for perusal lunchtime tomorrow.

I wasn't asking for a separate beginners section, infact, I was advocating the opposite, but just by adding the processing info which you have just provided with your link, it's a start for newcomers like me!! thanks :)

More
16 years 9 months ago #48023 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Beginners astrophotography forum?

Has anyone read it?

Hi Dave

I dont do much astrophotography at all, but i was messing around a few months ago with recording video clips through thte dobn and I read it then and found it useful.

Cheers
Trevor

More
16 years 9 months ago #48026 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Beginners astrophotography forum?

I knew I read one somewhere here. Thanks Dave!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 9 months ago #48028 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Re: Beginners astrophotography forum?
Hi Dave,

Coincidently, I came across your tutorial on Registax early yesterday and printed it, as I was unsure how to process the AVIs in Registax and I knew I was not getting the best out of this fantastic software. One could read the help files (if available) with the software, but I generally find help files to be OK, sometimes they can cause confusion and not follow a logical sequence or indeed contain so much detail that one wonders were to begin.
It is only when an experienced person comes along and pulls everything together to offer a concise tutorial that the help files then begin to actually “Help”.
I managed to apply your written tutorial to a few AVIs I took of the Moon through my new telescope and camera set-up, the results were much better indeed, and hidden detail was enhanced, there were additionally certain features on Registax I was unaware of. So a big thank you for your effort in placing this information on the forum, much appreciated 8-) .

Dave, I also have one or two questions on the Kendrick Digifire 10 dew control system that I purchased recently, (may i PM you?), which by the way is simply an astounding piece of technology, I used it for three hours (without Dewshield) on Wednesday until I called it a night, guess what, no dewing problems at all, the telescope probably would have continued longer without dewing problems if I had stayed out for longer! I think I will not have to worry ever again about dewing problems when the new Dewshield arrives!

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
16 years 9 months ago #48065 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Beginners astrophotography forum?
I'm glad people are using the registax post I put up, any Qs, just ask.

Mike, I don't have a Kendrick Digifire 10 dew control system. I have a home brew one, so if you have general question then I might be able to help but I think Michael O'Connell has one of these and would probabily be able to help you out more.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds