K-Tec

The new website - A failure or success.

More
15 years 2 months ago #76520 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re:The new website - A failure or success.

(you might just remind me via PM the night before!).

:laugh: :laugh: :P

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #76521 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re:The new website - A failure or success.
Seanie,

Thanks for the reply John. As you know, I am a pretty outspoken individual. I can speak my mind if it merits it, no matter what the consequences are. Coupled with that is my 'don't give two hoots what people say to me' attitude - which I am quick to add does not make me irresponsible and not act upon something. I just don't give a hoot if someone doesn't like me or something I do or say! Life's too short to have grudges, and I don't keep them. Everyone has their opinions. Who the hell am I to judge?! I give mine.

Thats fair enough as an individual. But an Admin or Moderator has a responsibility to be careful what they say, not offend people even if it is humourous, and to stop and think before you post.
You have just argued the case that an Admin/Moderator Policy is essential. I don't think I need say more as you are making all my points for me.
Please dont take this personally its not meant that way, I am arguing for the survival of this site, and am trying to offer some suggestions to make it better for all members.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by JohnMurphy.

More
15 years 2 months ago #76522 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:The new website - A failure or success.
JohnMurphy wrote:

Thats fair enough as an individual. But an Admin or Moderator has a responsibility to be careful what they say, not offend people even if it is humourous, and to stop and think before you post.
You have just argued the case that an Admin/Moderator Policy is essential. I don't think I need say more as you are making all my points for me.
Please dont take this personally its not meant that way, I am arguing for the survival of this site, and am trying to offer some suggestions to make it better for all members.

Nothing taken personally John!

As an Admin, I do take my replies seriously when needed, although almost all the time I make them as an individual. Usually the tone in a typed message does get through to know if it is done in a funny or otherwise tone.

In terms of a committee-type Admin and an Administrator, there's a line between them. My capacity as an Administrator is soley as a maintainer of this website. Anything that has occured through disgruntled individuals and committee members in the past is different - different in that I may not agree or disagree with decisions or actions taken, but having spoken my own tuppence on a matter and when a majority has spoken, I must stand behind the committee and its actions.

That, I believe, is a matter for a different thread, and one I would prefer to talk in person with anyway, as tones, etc. can get confused over typed characters, if you know what I mean.

Out of curiosity John - and be honest - have you tried or taken an interest in any of the new features added to the site to date?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 2 months ago #76523 by JohnMurphy
OK here's another suggestion.
Admins and Moderators have a seperate login for their 'jobs' but a civilian login under which they can act as an ordinary member. This way by changing hats it may prompt you to stop and realise that what you post has consequences. Say what you like when you use your civilian login. At least this way you dont miss out on speaking your mind and it may temper what you can say as a Moderator so that people are not offended. i.e. keep the roles seperated.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out My Photos

More
15 years 2 months ago #76524 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:The new website - A failure or success.
JohnMurphy wrote:

OK here's another suggestion.
Admins and Moderators have a seperate login for their 'jobs' but a civilian login under which they can act as an ordinary member. This way by changing hats it may prompt you to stop and realise that what you post has consequences. Say what you like when you use your civilian login. At least this way you dont miss out on speaking your mind and it may temper what you can say as a Moderator so that people are not offended. i.e. keep the roles seperated.

I personally tried that before on another boards I created ( www.tullamorelife.net ), but I kept crossing the lines between me (Seanie Morris) and my administrative alter ego (The Head Haucho). In the end, it was too cumbersome to think 'which login will I use first before I logout and log back in again after a couple of seconds?', so I merged all my posts into one qlter ego (guess which one?). Did the same for a few of the other mods there.

I would guess this would get the same response from the other Mods here.

It's not a bad suggestion, mind you, Mr. Murphy.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #76525 by JohnMurphy
Seanie,

One big difference between then and now is tabbed browsers. Keep one logged in as a civvy and one as an Admin. That way you can have fun and fulfil your Mod role simultaneously. You get the best of both worlds and users know where they stand with you - its not that difficult.:)

BTW. I am not advocating schizophrenia, but this may be a tad necessary.: blink:

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out My Photos
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by JohnMurphy.

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds