K-Tec

Website Stability

More
9 years 10 months ago #101030 by michaelotoole
Replied by michaelotoole on topic Website Stability
Just to mention the page load time is excessive, averaging tens of seconds per page...

The problem is either the server or the forum software....

Does Kunena support debug reporting, if so turning it on might indicate where the bottle neck is... If the problem does not lie with Kunena, then the server has issues...

Mike...

PS, I've about 15 years experience running sites and am willing to help...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #101031 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Website Stability
I completely concur with this. Downloading this website takes too long compared to others. We have a brand new PC and I wonder why the IFAS website is so slow. It must quite annoying for those who have PC's which are 5 years old or more.

Aubrey.

More
9 years 10 months ago #101033 by michaelotoole
Replied by michaelotoole on topic Website Stability
@Aubrey, the problem is not on your (or my, or any members PC), it's much more likely to be a server issues or software bottleneck/bug...

Most forum software has the option to display the time taken to processing a request... This would indicate where the problem lies.... If it's the server, then there's not much you can do other than changing servers, but if it's the forum software then we could fix things...

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

• michaeloconnell
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 10 months ago #101053 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Website Stability
Website has got painfully slow in the past few weeks.
What's required technically in order to speed it up?

Have we made any progress on fixing the page width?

More
9 years 10 months ago #101054 by derek0207
Replied by derek0207 on topic Website Stability
I'm new enough to this forum but here is my 2 cents....
I think whoever has built the site has done a great job and its not the site itself is causing the performance problem.

I think its probably running on a shared hosting environment. These are fine and have the advantage of being very cheap. If its moved to a dedicated or vps host then it will probably run a lot faster. However will cost 3 to 5 times more... Again I'm new here so I'm not sure how this site is funded...

More
9 years 10 months ago #101055 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Website Stability
Hi All,

An update on the 2 main queries talked about here...

1. Website lag experiences - this is being looked into by Darragh, our current hosting administrator. The service is on a VM Cloud service with Blacknight. Technically, there's nothing wrong with the provider, it is coming down to settings of some sort, and Darragh is looking into it as recently as last night. This happened before and we did get it fixed, so it does have a solution. Naturally, we'll look into why it is happening (2nd time in 6 months) and what we can do to prevent it from occuring in the future.

2. Website width issue - as I am one of 3 of the techies that help out with the code and doing most of that work, I can only visually go on what I see when trying to fix the width issue! That's not a help to those of you on an iPad or using certain versions of Internet Explorer that show the problem, because I can't see it on my systems and machines! At times, I am able to get a hold of an iPad from a friend for a few minutes and alter the CSS and refresh the browser to see if there are any changes in the layout, so I haven't cracked the over-width issue yet. But I haven't given up, and do apologise for that delay in harming the experience of irishastronomy.org for some people.

Thanks for your input and feedback folks, it is appreciated and taken on board.

Regards,

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds