• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 9 months ago #71033 by lunartic_old
Baader Semi Apo Filter was created by lunartic_old
Hi all

I observe with a 127mm f/6.45 refractor, it being the only scope I possess at the moment, as you can imagine there is a certain amount of CA, for my double star work it is not a bother, but when I come to the moon or the planets, or the brighter stars it's obvious, so I decided on the Baader Semi Apo Filter to see if it would help.

It arrived yesterday and last night was clear, what are the odds? :D

I popped the scope on the alt-az mount and pointed towards Vega, yep, there was a large purple halo around the star, it's a nice colour purple, I'm sure Prince, or The Sign, or whatever his name is now, would appreciate it. I got the 2" filter and screwed it into the back of my WO 2" diagonal, using an 8mm Hyperion yielding a magnification of 103X 95% of the purrple halo had gone, amazing, there is a little residual colour, but you have to look for it. One thing I did note and that it turned Vega a little yellow, not blazing yellow, but not the glaring white it normally is.

I had hoped to test the filter on Jupiter, but it remained behind the clouds all the time I was out. The next big test is the moon, which is coming back into the sky and I will report back on that.

I know a €100 filter will not make my scope a €5000 apo, but my first impressions are favourable, the filter is threaded for other filters, I attached a Baader UHC to the Semi Apo and observed M57 with excellent results.

If you are bothered by CA, then the Baader Semi Apo is worth considering.

I have no affiliation with Baader, I just like their products. :D

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #71060 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re: Baader Semi Apo Filter
hmmmm....Well Done Lunar

Why is life so hard??I wonder if its my fault......
Visit my website www.viaimerz.freeforums.org

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds