K-Tec

Led street lighting

More
8 years 4 months ago #105176 by Bruno
Replied by Bruno on topic Led street lighting
Just spotted these LED lights on Botanic Ave., Glasnevin, not far from where I live. Probably means my filters will be less effective! :-(

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #105180 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Led street lighting
I have noticed the new lights coming out of limerick. They seem yellowish to me. I presume that quite a bit of research has gone into finding the right colour temperature for street lights, especially on motorways which one would expect is shifted to a warmer temperature (yellow orange).
While blue light is a nuisance if you happen to live near the light source and will scatter more, it doesn't travel as far a red/ yellow light so you might find the skyglow is dimmer when you get away from the towns. My back yard seems a bit darker than I remember a few years back with Limerick to the south.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
8 years 4 months ago #105194 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Led street lighting

johnomahony wrote: I have noticed the new lights coming out of limerick. They seem yellowish to me. I presume that quite a bit of research has gone into finding the right colour temperature for street lights, especially on motorways which one would expect is shifted to a warmer temperature (yellow orange).

Research perhaps, but generally its lighting companies pitching as white and as bright as possible to local government who buy the idea that white and bright is best.

There has been quite a push back from communities to this, particularly in the US, where some new LED installations have been replaced with lower temperature LEDs. People simply don't want very bright white/blue lights shining into their homes at night.

The overall light pollution may go down, however the red part of the spectrum that will cause most skyglow will be broad and filters that have worked in the past by blocking specific wavelengths may not be as useful in future.

We need to find ways of measuring this in ireland.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
8 years 4 months ago #105195 by darragh
Replied by darragh on topic Led street lighting
Most of the new streetlight LEDs seems to have a colour temperature of around 6500K (Daylight).
Is anybody aware of depth perception issues with the blue light and whether these LED lights can cause issues with depth perception?
I've notice cycling at night, I find it harder to judge depth in areas with LED street lighting and constrasts diminish which could cause issues for cyclists.

Darragh

More
8 years 4 months ago #105197 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Led street lighting
Example of getting LED lighting wrong in the USA:
darksky.org/citys-led-retrofit-shows-nee...ul-lighting-choices/

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds