K-Tec

Visual Aurora Now

More
20 years 5 months ago #1226 by BrianOHalloran
Replied by BrianOHalloran on topic Re: Visual Aurora Now
As promised, the latest CME impact forecast, doesn't look like much though, though I could be wrong! ;)

www.spacew.com/cme/index.html

Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1227 by sdbell
Replied by sdbell on topic Re: Visual Aurora Now

michael o'connell wrote: Jeez Dave, we'll turn u into an outdoor astronomer on of these days :lol:

Yes, well... not so much an outdoor astronomer, but I might venture as far as backdoor astronomer :)

D

More
20 years 5 months ago #1229 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Visual Aurora Now
Well, that was my first Proper Araura and OMG was it spectacular from Maynooth!

I spotted it on my way out of Tescos with the stuff for dinner and turned my bike around and headed for the dark country side as fast as I could. I spent about 2 hours standing in a field about a mile from the Maynooth Street lights with my goceries, missed dinner (had to go be Quizmaster at 8:30!) but enjoyed every second of it!

From Maynoth I saw two large pillars eminating from both the East and WEst horizons. Two made a very low angle and extended very far south (Mars was within the middle of one of the Eastern ray). These two rays met at an angle to make a low and vivid green V shape in the sky. The other two pilars were red and met at a slight angle at the zenith where they made a really cool interference pattern. As well as that there were flickering white rays and curtains to the north and just a general glow over pretty much the entire sky. For a fwe minutes there was also some blue at the zenith which ocasionally mized wit the Red to give a purply effect bit this only lasted a very short time.

All in all it was a spectacular horizon to horizon show!

Bart B.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
20 years 5 months ago #1231 by BrianOHalloran
Replied by BrianOHalloran on topic Re: Visual Aurora Now
Congrats Bart - it was indeed a fine display from Maynooth!

Brian

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds