K-Tec

WSP/Birr article in Sky and Telescope by David Levy

More
20 years 5 months ago #1319 by johnflannery
hi Conor/David,

the article is in the January 2004 edition (amazing how it's not even the end of November and it popped in the letter box already!)

congrats to all at Shannonside for building the WSP into a world-class event -- I don't think there is anything comparable in Europe at this point. Hope to see some friends from the other side of "the Pond" over for the 2004 party!

prior to that of course we have the Connaght Star Party on Jan 24th (see the Galway Astronomy Club home page) and then Cosmos in March -- see www.seanie-m.com/cosmos.htm . . . hope to see y'all there!

John F.
SDAS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1335 by ei5fk
Shane wrote

I read on irishastronomy.com that O'Meara is coming Whirlpool Star Party next year

Is that Stephen O Meara who is the author of "THE MESSIER OBJECTS" ?
I recommend this very fine book to deep sky observers and suggest you go to www.amazon.com in US and buy online, they have a terrific reliable reasonably priced service
Charles[/b]

More
20 years 4 months ago #1506 by johnflannery
hi Charles,

yes, it's THE Stephen O'Meara -- should be a great line-up along with John Barrow and the other speakers. I think the revised Shannonside web site have the latest list of speakers posted up.

John Flannery
SDAS

More
20 years 4 months ago #1508 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: WSP/Birr article in Sky and Telescope by David Levy
Aahhh yes, Stephen James O'Meara...fantastic observer! Sometimes I do wonder though if he installed CCD chips at the back of his retina! :wink:
Apparently the air where he lives in Hawaii is, needless to say, very clear, but also very corrosive due to the volcanic activity. Apparently it completely corroded the coatings on his Genesis refractor and he had to send it back after a few years to be recoated :!: ...one of the advantages of living in Ireland I suppose.. :roll:

Michael

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds