K-Tec

Close Yahoo Group?

More
20 years 5 months ago #1339 by ei5fk
Replied by ei5fk on topic Yahoo Group
John wrote

Why not just leave Yahoo open

I aggree, we can pay yahoo back for all the spam they allow to be sent to us, disable e-mail and lets all leave the group, use it as free advertising since it is widely known, just put a link to here
Now what about our members email, I think its vulnerable...see here
www.irishastronomy.org/boards/memberlist.php
Spammers are manually going through lists and collecting email addresses
I am leaving the yahoo group right away with no disrespect to users
Charles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1340 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Yahoo Group

John wrote

Why not just leave Yahoo open

I aggree, we can pay yahoo back for all the spam they allow to be sent to us, disable e-mail and lets all leave the group, use it as free advertising since it is widely known, just put a link to here
Now what about our members email, I think its vulnerable...see here
www.irishastronomy.org/boards/memberlist.php
Spammers are manually going through lists and collecting email addresses
I am leaving the yahoo group right away with no disrespect to users
Charles

OK ... I am totally confused here? HOW is leaving the yahoo group open in any way going to hurt yahoo??

Also, the URL you posted is the members list for THIS SITE not for the yahoo group. What you should notice is that your email addresses are NOT on that site, even if you click the email link you do NOT get to see the address you are sending an email to so you are all safe!

I would say close the damd thing down and be done with it!

I am just putting the finishing touches ot the new post announcements system so that should be ready to go live in a few minutes.

Bart B.,
IFAS Webmaster.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
20 years 5 months ago #1344 by ei5fk
Replied by ei5fk on topic Yahoo Group
Bart wrote

totally confused here? HOW is leaving the yahoo group open in any way going to hurt yahoo??
If u are confused Bart, then where does that leave the rest of us !!!
It has come to my notice that Yahoo gave out a large amount of email addresses of users in their groups about 3 months ago and "probably got well paid for it"
I have noticed a big increase in SPAM with my yahoo email address and for sure have no loyalty to Yahoo, they stopped everybody's POP3 email retrival using outlook express about 18 months ago and try/tried to force us to pay an annual sub for users to get more facilities, the limited 15 spam filters are a joke Bart, and yes I was talking about the Astronomy.org addresses, I see u are correct, my blunder, sorry.
Cheers
Charles

More
20 years 5 months ago #1345 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Close Yahoo Group?
I totally agree with you that Yahoo has gone to shite recently and that the amount of spam you get on yahoo addresses is rediculous. I also have no loyalty to them what so ever. My question was how is keeping the group open going to help us get our own back on Yahoo as you seemed to imply that it did?

Also, just for the record, everyhting about the way this group is set up is designed to prevent Spam. The only people who can post here are members and I have the power to delete and ban anyone who spams these these boards even once. Again as I have already mentioned your email addresses are not publicly visible here so on that count too you are safe from web bots and spammers manually extracting addresses. The only person who can see your address is me and even then it is not simple for me to get that information.

Basically, IMHO the yahoo group serves no purpose anymore so I see no reason to keep it. Anyone on that list has had well over half a year to join these boards so no one has any excuse for being left in the dark by this move! Also, the longer that group is in existance the more chace the spammers have a change to get at our email addresses!

Bart B.,
IFAS Webmaster.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
20 years 5 months ago #1350 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: Close Yahoo Group?
Suggestion: Why not make the new topic notification email 'no' by default for the moment. i.e. Only send the notifications to people you know really need them right now (the yahoo die hards :P ), and leave everyone else off the list.

I'd say the majority of people visit the board once or twice a day and view new topics that way (so don't need the email notification)

John.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1357 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Close Yahoo Group?
One of the problems with Yahoo Groups is the sheer number of groups registered there and the content of a significant percentage. If you try searching for IFAS or similar, it's not just astronomy related topics you'll get....some other not-so-innocent groups tend to appear before ours.
Not ideal for the younger people looking for us.
Michael

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds