K-Tec

Astronomy In Schools

More
20 years 1 month ago #2457 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Re: Astronomy In Schools
Hi all,

On reading this string, one thing seemed to stand out to me. Everyone here seems to be concentrating on second level schools. Why not consider National Schools?

I have a seven year old son who loves to come out with me and study the sky (much easier in the winter when it's dark early!). He loves to be able to point out constellations, stars and the planets and was absolutely delighted to be able to see the five naked eye plantets in the sky at the same time! He's also using Winstars and Starry Night Backyard on his computer. I'm just a novice to astronomy and we're both learning it together. then a number of weeks ago, he came home from school all excited and told me that they where learning some astronomy in school as part of their science class. He also told me that the rest of the class loved it.

I feel that maybe this would be the place to sow the seeds of interest in this subject, before syllabus', points and being "cool" become a factor. I know that my son can't get enough of it and loves to tell his friends about what we've see lately, and they love to listen.

It's just a thought........

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 1 month ago #2465 by mjs
Replied by mjs on topic Astronomy for schools.
Hi all,

I must agree with all that is said here. We in Kerry Astronomy club had our first "Outreach session" recently for a local National School and the interest was amazing. We have a short report on our website at homepage.eircom.net/~kerryac/ Follow the Outreach Link.

We also have other schools that are waiting on a clear night!

Michael Scully KAC/SAC

More
20 years 1 month ago #2466 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Astronomy In Schools
Well done to the KAC for having the courage to put themselves out there. I'm sure that almost every school in the land would jump at the chance to a) show off serious scientific instruments to science students and b) show students some of the objects visible through these scientific instruments.

As regards the point concerning primary schools being neglected in favour of secondary schools, there are two things to consider in my opinion. Firstly, I'm a secondary teacher so I'm biased in that regard, and secondly, it's easier to arrange an observing session for secondary students. Most of the astronomical events that occur during the day, and I'm talking about the kind of things take cause people to pull sickies, we tend to be quite selfish about. Take the Venus occultation on May 21st, or even the Venus transit on June 8th. Would you like to set your scope up for a bunch of school children to look through, or would you prefer to enjoy the entire event yourself? Would you waste those photons on a school science day and possibly miss part of the event yourself? It wouldn't do for an astronomer to go to a school for the Venus occultation and give a running commentary to the kids; "oh, there it goes. You should have seen it!"

While we sit here and discuss this though we have to recognise that there is an enthusiasm on the part of astronomers to get involved in outreach, and a willingness on the part of schools to accept astronomers and their equipment. Can the IFAS bring the two together? Can the IFAS establish an educational subcommittee to contact national curricular organisations or other interested bodies?

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
20 years 1 month ago #2467 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Astronomy In Schools

It wouldn't do for an astronomer to go to a school for the Venus occultation and give a running commentary to the kids; "oh, there it goes. You should have seen it!"

webcam and projector?

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
20 years 1 month ago #2468 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Astronomy In Schools
We don't all have webcams and projectors lying around, nor even the savvy to use them. Some schools might have them, but they're the kind of schools which would really need to know the astronomer before they entrust them with their expensive pieces of equipment, let alone students.

Anybody got any suggestions for what should be left out of a Transition Year astronomy course?

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

More
20 years 1 month ago #2470 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Astronomy In Schools
Shane, and others,
that is where it should be left to the local astronomical societies to build a rapport with local schools e.g. TAS has had a hand in local schools and the Youth Center for almost 3 years, giving class-time lectures in science and astronomy. AND, at one stage, we hosted our lectures for about 5 years in the Vocational School in town. THATS how we built up our relations. No society needs to be told how to do their bit for their local schools.

Anybody got any suggestions for what should be left out of a Transition Year astronomy course?

Shane, would you consider doing a questionnaire and/or survey to find out (a) what they know, and (b) what they want to know more about? I don't think there is anything too hard for them, its just down to interest in different areas. The least favoured areas are left behind.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds