irishastronomy.org Irish astronomer of the year

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
19 years 11 months ago #2709 by albertw
Hi folks,

On Tuesday, the night of the Lunar eclipse, it will have been one year (to within about 15 minutes!) since Bart made the first post on this board. And following the tradition from uk.sci.astronomy to have an astronomer of the year award I thought it might be nice to do the same here. There is no prize or award for this honour apart perhaps from getting a mention in arcturus and on this site, though if anyone wants to donate a prize... ;-)

The rules are simple. Send me an email or pm with your vote, by Friday 7th May, and will count up the votes and let you know the winner.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
19 years 11 months ago #2726 by albertw
Only a few responses so far, so feel free to send me votes (pm or to albertw at netsoc dot ucd dot ie) until next wednesday.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 11 months ago #2727 by ctr
Pardon!

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
19 years 11 months ago #2742 by albertw

wrong topic :oops:

que?

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 11 months ago #2744 by spculleton
Can I make a couple of suggestions for the practice of awarding the astronomers of the year? It's a great idea and well done to Al for suggesting it. Here's what I think we should do, but feel free to shoot me down for suggesting it.
1) Astronomer of the Year should be ineligible for the award the following year.
2) Astronomer of the year should be responsible for tallying votes for the following year.
3) Astronomer of the year should get some kind of badge or avatar-modification that displays their status.

Now why I think this; Albert.

I'm sure many people would like to vote for Al, and perhaps many have already. I'm certain that Al, or anyone tallying votes, would discount votes for themselves even if they were the winner. It's ironic that someone who shows the kind of innovation that deserves an AotY award by suggesting the AotY award can't get it. (Don't worry - I've confused myself aswell :D )

So, what do people think?

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
19 years 11 months ago #2745 by albertw

I'm certain that Al, or anyone tallying votes, would discount votes for themselves even if they were the winner.

yep, but that hasnt arisen ;-)

So, what do people think?

I think people should bother to vote. There have been only a handful of votes so far!

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds