K-Tec

Can't find Comet Neat

More
19 years 11 months ago #3078 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Can't find Comet Neat
Hi,

Just had a go at it. Slight hase made worse by the moon didn't help, could just see Talitha in UMaj with unaided eye.

I did just manage to see NEAT, however it was a "scan around the field of view thill you brain registers something with averted vision" type of sighting in 8x50's.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #3080 by markdj
Replied by markdj on topic Re: Can't find Comet Neat
I just had a look in Starry Night Pro. Memorized the chart and went outside.

I looked at Ursa Major and guestimated the distance and position of Comet NEAT and waited a number of minutes until I could see more stars naked eye. I held up the binoculars and low and behold, Comet Neat was in the FOV !!! Whether or not this was a fluke, I don't know, but don't expect too much. I could not see any colour in the comet wheras 14 days ago, I could see a definite green tinge and it was much brighter.

I was using a pair of Breaker 13x70s. They were already prefocused at infinity for my eyes before viewing the comet - accurate focus is critical for faint fuzzies as the slightest softness in focus can make the comet even dimmer.

Keep trying and make sure you do not have any lights shining from a distance in your eyes, preventing good night vision.

Clear Skies

MarkDJ

More
19 years 11 months ago #3099 by aob9
Replied by aob9 on topic Re: Can't find Comet Neat
Thanks to everyone for responding to this, I take heart in the fact that this is a fairly faint object as 'albertw' has indicated on his jpeg image.I will have another go at it when the skies clear but it looks as if time is running out.
Anthony

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds