• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 7 months ago #4893 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Earl Of Rosse - Book
Thanks Lads!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 7 months ago #4894 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Earl Of Rosse - Book
I read up on the history a number of years ago, and there is quite abit about it, for instance there was an astronomer (whose name eludes me for now) who spent quite a number of years doing naked eye diagram of the milkyway around the turn of the ninetheenth centuary, under the shadow of one of the biggest telescopes in the world !!!!

Fair soon after, once photography became more advanced, his years of hard work were very quickly surpassed by a few photographs !

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 7 months ago #4897 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Earl Of Rosse - Book
Steve O'Meara is a big fan of this guy's work too, but alas his name escapes me too. O'Meara mentions him in an old S&T article about his fav deep-sky targets that I downloaded from their archive. He's also mentioned in Deep-Sky Wonders by Walter Scott Houston. His drawings are supposedly the best available and rival any photographs.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

More
19 years 6 months ago #4914 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Earl Of Rosse - Book
hi guys,

I wrote about that very subject in Sky-High 2004 -- have reproduced the piece below. There's a copy of Boeddicker's booklet in a display case at the Birr Castle exhibition. I also had to substitute the "a" in one of the words because of our blasted server's interpretation of that word as being not allowed :? -- you'll see what I mean!

all the best,

John

"N*ked-eye studies of the Milky Way were an important branch of astronomy during the latter years of the 19th century. An appeal by F.W.A. Argelander to amateur astronomers to undertake n*ked eye observations of phenomena such as meteors, the zodiacal light, variable stars and the Milky Way led to a number of projects concerned with mapping the naked eye Milky Way.

One such program was that completed by Otto Boeddicker, a German astronomer who was an assistant to the Fourth Earl of Rosse at Birr Castle between 1880 and 1916 (when he had to return to Germany because of war in Europe). Boeddicker made exquisite renditions of the n*ked eye Milky Way down to declination –10° over a period of six years and the chart was published by lithography in The Milky Way (London, 1892).

Modern astrophotography has all but made n*ked eye studies of our Galaxy defunct but it is a worthwhile and stimulating project for amateurs to undertake to enhance their observing skills and become aware of deep-sky objects that are visible to the unaided eye."

More
19 years 6 months ago #4916 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Earl Of Rosse - Book

Modern astrophotography has all but made n*ked eye studies of our Galaxy defunct but it is a worthwhile and stimulating project for amateurs to undertake to enhance their observing skills and become aware of deep-sky objects that are visible to the unaided eye."

Thats a good point !

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds