Connacht Star Party , January 29th 2005

• galwayskywatchers
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 7 months ago #4970 by galwayskywatchers
Connacht Star Party , January 29th 2005 was created by galwayskywatchers
This year we have chosen a theme which is currently very much at the forefront of Astrophysics today. The discovery of exo-suns with orbiting planets are almost a daily occurrence and in keeping with this theme, we have invited what we believe is an exceptional line up of speakers to Galway Astronomy Club's 2nd Annual Connacht Star Party.

For a full synopsis of the talks please check our website at www.galwayastronomyclub.ie

Speakers

1 Professor Barry Jones
Physics & Astronomy
Open University UK
“Planets and Life Beyond the Solar System”

2 Dr. Francisco Diego
President, AAE UK
"A Universe for life?"

3 Dr. Ray Butler
Dept. Experimental Physics
NUI Galway
“Ancient Extra Solar Planets – Where are they?”

4 Dr. Andy McCrea MBE
President IAA
Belfast
“The Only Minor Planet Discovered in Ireland”

5. Professor Mike Redfern from the Physics Dept will be giving everyone a full length preview a 20 minute film produced in conjuntion with Leo Enright on the Astronomy & Physics course at NUI Galway, which is to be shown on RTE at a later date.

6 .Afterwards he will give us a demonstration of the workings of the brand new 16 inch German Schmit Cassagrain Telescope at the College observatory just installed this summer, this observatory has two domes including a small Radio Telescope aswell. hopefully we have clear skies again this year.

7. There will be an Astronomy Quiz later in the Hotel, this will test yer knowledge, I hear Terry loves Chemistry questions??

8. For anyone staying over that night an astronomy workshop (TBA) is being organised to take place the following morning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• galwayskywatchers
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 4 months ago #7063 by galwayskywatchers
Replied by galwayskywatchers on topic Re: Connacht Star Party , January 29th 2005
Hi, we are just looking for a rough idea for the amount of people that will be staying over in Galway on the Saturday night of the Starparty, as we would like to know how many we will have for the Astro quiz and the workshop the following morning, PLEASE??

Ronan Newman

More
19 years 4 months ago #7065 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Connacht Star Party , January 29th 2005
What's the workshop gonna be about?

• galwayskywatchers
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 4 months ago #7179 by galwayskywatchers
Replied by galwayskywatchers on topic Re: Connacht Star Party , January 29th 2005
More than likely imaging or telescopes, John F mentioned that with so many new members on IFAS mabybe a workshop on all types of Telescope ajustments/accessories etc, god knows even i have alot to learn about them and i am quiet sure ther are many more the same, and we do have someone here in galway who in my mind and from what i have seen is a expert when it comes to telescopes. So who is coming??

Ronan Newman

More
19 years 4 months ago #7181 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Connacht Star Party , January 29th 2005
Ronan,
If workshops are organised for the Sunday, then I for one will definetly b staying overnight on the Saturday night. I'm pretty confident that if people are given plenty notice that the workshops are a definite thing you'll get a decent enough attendence on the Sunday. I wouldn't worry too much about numbers. You've got a superb venue in the nicest city in the country. People would be mad to turn down a weekend in Galway.
Just my 2cent anyway.

Best of luck with it.

More
19 years 4 months ago #7184 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Connacht Star Party , January 29th 2005
I will be there for the weekend.

Dave McDonald

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds