building a dobsonian

• spudnik
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 6 months ago #5149 by spudnik
Replied by spudnik on topic Re: building a dobsonian
I know I dont actually have a scope yet but would you guys recommend a finder.....I was thinking of leaving it out :?

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine" Sir Arthur Eddington

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5152 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: building a dobsonian
If it were me, I'd definetly get a finder.
Either get a Telrad or else get a decent optical finder such as an 8or9x50, or even both if you're feel like it! (More common than you may think!)
DON'T get the little 6x30 finders. A complete waste of time. I have one on my 4.5" so trust me on this! :wink: To make matters worse, they are often stopped down ever further so you effectively end up with something like a 6x15 which is of little benefit.
A 12" PVC tube will be able to take a 10" mirror - not a 12" in case you thought it could. You've to allow for the size of the mirror cell, connections between the tube & mirror cell, expansion & contraction and finally ventilation.

• spudnik
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 6 months ago #5181 by spudnik
Replied by spudnik on topic Re: building a dobsonian
so.....my attention now turns back to eyepieces :mrgreen:

Will probably get these from the same place i get the mirror due to cost/ease....

I'm thinking:

8mm & 14mm & 26mm which corresponds to 200, 114 and 61 mag respectively for a fr of 6.3 for my 10" mirror

OR

8mm & 22mm & 30mm PLUS a 2x barlow lens........

Personally I like the idea of a barlow lense....seems to give me a lot more for a lot less.

I'm basing all of this on research and reading done on the world wide web but I would feel a lot better having some expert advice :wink:

BTW From my reading I think Plossl eyepieces are the way to go for ALL of the above, good fov, good price, i dont wear glasses etc......opinions?

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine" Sir Arthur Eddington

More
19 years 6 months ago #5182 by Eugene Burke
Replied by Eugene Burke on topic Re: building a dobsonian
HI Spudnik
Just in case people think I'm ignoring you and to let them know that were PMing,but re eyepieces you get a 2"focusser with 1.25" adapter .THEN you buy one of those 30mm Modified Erfle, 82 deg field of view eyepieces from Cherie and experience the WOW factor as I did again looking at the double cluster in Perseus tonight .
Apart from that my next most used one is a 10mm ED from ORION USA for Us 65 with 55 deg fov then my least used is a Sky Insts 7.5 Plossl due to the fact that seeing is not always good at that power but as MAE WEST said "When its good its REALLY good" And just for those occasoins I have a US Orion 2X Apochromatic Barlow (US 69)
A Friend of mine who has a 12" Newt has had occasion to use a 3.8mm Lanthanum lens only 3 or 4 times in the last 9 months as seeing has to be perfect you can often see more at lower mag.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds