K-Tec

Dunsink observatory and its possible closure!!!!!!!

More
19 years 6 months ago #5212 by Seanie_Morris
Didn't Greenwich Observatory in Cambridge fall to a similar fate, albeit for different reasons? Because of light pollution, it was deemed absolutely useless as an observatory. But it still stands as an historic monumnent.

From reading on other forums regarding the farce that erupted 2 weeks ago over the Travellers and the police, there are hints that a developer has already bidded for the land, and with the co-operation of Dublin City (Fingal County?) Council, the illegal dumping and diesel racket was an excuse to block the lane, look for an injunction against the occupiers of the lane, and get the grounds sold off for development.

At the moment on the 12:00 news, the police are searching for weapons and illegal things in possesion of the Travellers et all on the lane. These are the grounds for getting it closed, brown envelopes passed, and Dunsink sold off to some rich dick called a developer to demolish the lot, and build apartments...

Its not fair, but it sems, c'est la vie...

:?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5213 by jhonan

At the moment on the 12:00 news, the police are searching for weapons and illegal things in possesion of the Travellers et all on the lane. These are the grounds for getting it closed, brown envelopes passed, and Dunsink sold off to some rich dick called a developer to demolish the lot, and build apartments...

Another concern I have is the security of the refractor itself. The last thing we want is any of that disappearing.

"I've got a nice bit of drainpipe here boss...."

:roll:

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5214 by albertw

Didn't Greenwich Observatory in Cambridge fall to a similar fate, albeit for different reasons? Because of light pollution, it was deemed absolutely useless as an observatory. But it still stands as an historic monumnent.

It stands as a developed(developing) science park www.rog.nmm.ac.uk/ not just a listed building in a field.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 6 months ago #5215 by Seanie_Morris

It stands as a developed(developing) science park www.rog.nmm.ac.uk/ not just a listed building in a field.

Thanks Al.

(Ref: link posted) -> Could anyone see this happening with Dunsink? I can't. It should probably be the case though. It sure is old enough to have it categorised as an historical landmark.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5216 by jhonan
Are both the dome and the house listed buildings, and what grade? - I can't find any info on the web.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5217 by albertw

Are both the dome and the house listed buildings, and what grade? - I can't find any info on the web.

Only the main building, not the dome or gate lodge etc.

No idea on grade nor can I navigate the government websites to find any useful information. I presume this is under the Dept of Heritage, Environment, and local destruction?

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds