Exclusive to East Antrim AS - Leonids coming early

• markdj
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 5 months ago #5527 by markdj
Hello fellow observers

I have just been informed of the latest predictions for the Leonid Meteor Showers this year by Dr.David Asher from the Armagh Observatory. David is one of the leading experts in the world on meteor predictions.

On Monday evening 8th November, the Earth will pass through an old and diffuse comet trail of 1001AD from comet Tempel-Tuttle. This means that we will be expecting smaller and fainter meteors but with rates estimated to be from 50-100 meteors per hour. The peak is expected to be at 2330UT so, weather permitting, we are well placed to observe this. The best place to observe the meteors is away from light polluting towns and get well into the country. You will need a clear East to Northeast horizon as the constellation of Leo will be rising from this area. Remember that the meteors radiate from the constellation of Leo outwards, so a long exposure could show meteors rising from the horizon! The showers are expected to last a few hours as the Earth passes through the comet trails. Observations after 0000UT will yield more sightings as the dark side of the Earth faces towards the incoming particle streams.

Also check out Les Gornall's image of the Venus/Jupiter conjunction and a Leonid meteor!

More information is on the website at www.eaas.co.uk

Clear Skies

Mark Stronge
EAAS Webmaster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #5528 by dave_lillis
Excellent,
thanks Mark, I've got a feeling that its going to be a long night on Monday. :)

what a great stroke of luck on the Leonid, and you got pictures of the Eclipse from 2 weeks ago, glad to see someone saw it, even if was from the Canaries.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 5 months ago #5536 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Exclusive to East Antrim AS - Leonids coming early
Thanks for the heads-up Mark!

It just so happens that TAS has a meeting that night - is anyone going up for some observing later on that night?

I am!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 5 months ago #5550 by lionsden
Eh...... Have you seen the forcast for Monday night? It's not looking good....
www.metcheck.com/48hrforecast.asp?lat=53&lon=-8&locationID=310

:( :( :(

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

More
19 years 5 months ago #5562 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Exclusive to East Antrim AS - Leonids coming early

Eh...... Have you seen the forcast for Monday night? It's not looking good....

:( :( :(

Jeeze Leo, thanks for ruining my Monday before I have even gotten up for work on it!

:P

:lol:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 5 months ago #5576 by lionsden

Jeeze Leo, thanks for ruining my Monday before I have even gotten up for work on it!

:P

:lol:

OK! Hows this then:
It's going to be a beautiful, clear, dark starry night!

That any better?

:P :P

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds