K-Tec

Auroral Storm over Ireland.

• John C McConnell
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 5 months ago #5596 by John C McConnell
Replied by John C McConnell on topic Re: Auroral Storm over Ireland.
Martin and Conor, two of our members from Maghera had a brilliant view, check out our Forum for full report on what they saw.

eaas.proboards31.com/

Johnmc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #5597 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Auroral Storm over Ireland.
Does anyone know what the weather will be like tonight in Kildare? Vis satellite from Met Eireann looks woeful....

Dave

More
19 years 5 months ago #5606 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Auroral Storm over Ireland.
hi Dave,

welcome on board!

Met Eireann only seem to update their satellite photo once a day so I tend to go to the UK Met Office site -- www.met-office.gov.uk/

the UK Met Office satellite pictures are updated hourly and the Infra-Red view is showing a clearance slowly moving in from the northwest so early morning before dawn should see some clear spells.

the latest forecast of aurora is more of the same POSSIBLY in the next couple of days. Check out www.sec.noaa.gov/forecast.html . . . specifically the mention in section IIB.

I also use the very useful Aurorawatch UK site that can be found at www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/ -- this is a magnetometer, used to measure fluctuations in the Earth's magnetic field, which is hooked up to the Internet. When you see the graph in the red hit the ground running to the nearest dark site! You can subscribe to aurora alerts here. The site is useful in that it gives magnetic conditions local to the British Isles. Valentia Observatory have a magnetometer too but I haven't seen any output from it in yonks.

finally, www.spaceweather.com is where there's some nice introductions to the field of Solar-Terrestrial weather.

all the best,

John Flannery,
South Dublin Astro. Soc.

More
19 years 5 months ago #5608 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: Auroral Storm over Ireland.
John - hope you don't mind me linking back to your post above to respond to a similar question posed on the .com site. Saves me doing all the google leg-work... :P

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds