K-Tec

Upgrading to external USB 2.0 - possible?

More
19 years 5 months ago #5654 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Upgrading to external USB 2.0 - possible?
Hi,
Even the toucam pro 2 is USB1.1,
The Canon 300D uses USB2 but I run it on my USB1.1 ports.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 5 months ago #5656 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Upgrading to external USB 2.0 - possible?
Dear Friends,

A sincere thank you for the immediate and detailed feedback. I also posted a similar query on sci.astro.amateur with the same undesireable results (vis a vis the 740 being USB 1.1 and nothing more). However, I was delighted to learn of the cheap upgrade involving PCMCIA USB2 cards which sell for very little money on eBay.

Gordon: Damian is certainly a master at planetary webcam imaging. However, I am slightly surprised at his emphasis to you regarding 5 fps. He had an article in Astronomy Magazine earlier this year where he mentioned 30 frames per second (I will check to confirm but I am almost certain). To be totally honest, I was scratching my head when I read this bit of information ... I can certainly understand the desire to sample as much as possible (my primary reason for asking as well) but the problem is the throughput.

Anyway, I guess it will have to be my current modus operandi at 5 or 10 fps and in uncompressed mode.

Thank you ALL once again!

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
19 years 5 months ago #5670 by gnason

Gordon: Damian is certainly a master at planetary webcam imaging. However, I am slightly surprised at his emphasis to you regarding 5 fps. He had an article in Astronomy Magazine earlier this year where he mentioned 30 frames per second (I will check to confirm but I am almost certain). To be totally honest, I was scratching my head when I read this bit of information ... I can certainly understand the desire to sample as much as possible (my primary reason for asking as well) but the problem is the throughput.Anthony.

Anthony,

I'm not familiar with that Astronomy article but I spent some time with Damian over the weekend and specifically asked him what fps he uses (as well as enquiring about other capture settings). The answer was 10 fps for the moon and planets, confirmed by notes I took at the time. He did not emphasise 5 fps - just mentioned that he uses 5 fps occasionally on Saturn, perhaps it's something to do with seeing conditions.

Gordon

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds