K-Tec

Latitude, longitude - how do I find out?

More
19 years 5 months ago #5756 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: Latitude, longitude - how do I find out?
Get a OS map for your location, they are marked with lat/long along the edges so it's very easy to get your home position without much knowledge.

But this is the 21st century, just get a cheap GPS for under a 100 euro over the net and you have your position anywhere in the world acurate to a few feet, even with something cheap. How much were you spending on a mount again? :wink:

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 5 months ago #5757 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Latitude, longitude - how do I find out?
100 quid? I can get half an AP counterweight for that!!!!

Heavens-above did the trick - thanks folks. I justed wanted the co-ordinates for SNPro - no fancy GOTO here yet - until the AP1200 comes. :wink:

Cheers again - Dave

More
19 years 5 months ago #6063 by cobyrne
Replied by cobyrne on topic Re: Latitude, longitude - how do I find out?
Unfortunately, it is much easier to read your Irish Grid coordinates from the O.S. maps than it is to read your latitude and longitude. On the maps, the lat/lon lines slope and curve, so it's difficult to figure out your exact location that way.

The good news is that it's possible to convert from Irish Grid to lat/lon.

Check out the Ordnance Survey site www.osi.ie , go into GPS Services, and check out their co-ordinate converter (you will need to register with the site). Note the OSI use their own "datum" (essentially, their own latitude/longitude grid). The internationally accepted datum is "WGS84" - I don't know if the web site does it. If it doesn't, email me - I am able to convert between datums.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds