Meade ETX 70 First Impressions

• spudnik
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 5 months ago #6202 by spudnik
Meade ETX 70 First Impressions was created by spudnik
Ok, this is my first ever scope and I wanted to give my impressions on it as a beginner.

First of all I haven't really got to use it a lot yet as it's been far too cloudy over the last few days. I did however get some nice views of the moon. Awesome.

For what I wanted it for the scope is pretty good (i think), its portable, easy to set up, its goto is definately a bonus for a beginner and itll complement my 10" dob nicely (whenever I finish it.......). Plus it was a bargain, good ol lidl.

I set it up and wandered out last night. It was cloudy but auriga and surrounds were clear enough. I aligned to north as best I could (i have no compass and polaris wasnt visible). I needed to set it up for two stars then to align it properly. So I set it up to capella, and eventually settled on what I thought was deneb (its pretty difficult to figure out which star is which when its cloudy!). It managed to find the moon on its own after that :shock: . The goto was working fairly well for a while but then disaster. I tried the andromeda galaxy (which I've seen before through binos) but couldn't find it.....maybe the moon was too bright? Anyway I kept searching for it and I must have confused the scope because it ended up thinking andormeda was in the middle of my hedge and I couldnt get it aligned again (damn clouds). Anyway, I dont care I got some great views of the moon; would've stayed out there all night if the clouds didnt ruin my plans.

Some things I dislike about it though. when the scope is tilted waaay up its a pain in the arse to use the focus knob and its a bit jerky when moved manually, ie without the motor. The left to right inversion also takes a bit of getting used to.

There was also something weird. When I was looking at the moon there was a thin bright yellow ring surrounding it. Is this a natural phenomenon or is this a failing of the optics...? I'm thinking optics, right?

All in all i think it was a good purchase.....plus I got a bag! 8)

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine" Sir Arthur Eddington

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• spudnik
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 5 months ago #6236 by spudnik
Replied by spudnik on topic Re: Meade ETX 70 First Impressions
i just realised this should probably be in the Observing Equipment section.....
could some kindly moderator please move it?? :oops:

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine" Sir Arthur Eddington

More
19 years 5 months ago #6244 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Meade ETX 70 First Impressions
Thats chromatic abberation,
I found that I coukld induce it be having my eye too far from the eyepice,
and if I have my eye dead center and close to the lens, the yellow goes away ?? a wierd affect that I've not seen before.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• spudnik
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 5 months ago #6245 by spudnik
Replied by spudnik on topic Re: Meade ETX 70 First Impressions
i even managed to get it in green too.....weirdest thing to see the moon like that........

I looked up those meade ma eyepieces. Bottom of the barrell eyepieces apparently ( www.scopereviews.com/page3.html ). So, psychadelic effects are to be expected then I guess......

More
19 years 5 months ago #6269 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Meade ETX 70 First Impressions
Spudnik - bottom of the barrel yes, but better than those supplied with the Skylux!

Wait 'til you get your hands on a 40mm Televue Nagler.... :shock:

I'm new to refractors so I'm looking forward to a psychedelic viewing session!

Dave

More
19 years 5 months ago #6272 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Meade ETX 70 First Impressions

Spudnik - bottom of the barrel yes, but better than those supplied with the Skylux!

:-) bottom of Meades barrel would be a compliment to most eyepieces you get with scopes!

Wait 'til you get your hands on a 40mm Televue Nagler.... :shock:

Those $500 hand grenades? :-)

I've looked through a nagler once, and it felt as though I was falling into the eyepiece. Comparing these things to normal eyepieces is like comparing a TV to an IMAX theater! Once of these days I'll splash out on one.

Cheers,
~Al (yep cloudy and foggy again in Dublin!)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds