• Sizzzzzle
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 5 months ago #6293 by Sizzzzzle
Advice on Ad for Telescope was created by Sizzzzzle
Hi,

I didnt get one of the Lidl scopes. The only Monday I had to be in work for 9am!! Typical!!!
I was wondering if you guys could give me any advice on the following which was advertised in the Irish Times this week. I am tpying out the add exactly as it appears on the paper.

Far Vision 60-700 telescope.

Our telescope set is supplied with a carry case and a huge range of accessories for great viewing. Included are 3 eyepieces for 28X, 65X and 197X magnification, a 1.5X erecting eyepiece for 42X, 84X and 263X magnification, a 3X Barlow extension lens for 84X, 168X and 525X magnification and a full size tripod and accessory tray.

Price is €120.

Also included is Starry Night CD-Rom.

All those magnification numbers mean nothing to me, so was just wondering if anyone had any advice on this scope and the stuff with it. Would it be worth getting. I dont have a telescope but would like to get one.

Thanks

Sizzzzzzzzle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #6294 by ctr
Replied by ctr on topic Re: Advice on Ad for Telescope
Sizzzzzle

I know nothing about that scope but I do recommend looking through various scopes and even tripod mounted binoculars before you buy anything.

I see your in Galway so why not pop along to a meeting of the Galway Astronomy Club and check out the choice.

Welcome to the site.

Conor

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

More
19 years 5 months ago #6295 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Advice on Ad for Telescope

Far Vision 60-700 telescope. All those magnification numbers mean nothing to me, so was just wondering if anyone had any advice on this scope and the stuff with it. Would it be worth getting. I dont have a telescope but would like to get one.

You can get a better look at this telescope at www.attacc.com/acatalog/Attleborough_Accessories_Binoculars.htm

It is a typical cheap trash scope on a shaky tripod which you should avoid. The numbers mean it is a 60mm aperture refractor with a 700mm focal length. Most of the fancy accessories and magnifications quoted will prove completely unuseable. A quality 60mm refractor using good eyepieces could expect to achieve 120x under decent viewing conditions, this scope with poorer optics will not even get near this figure, 28x and possibly 56x being the only realistic options. The high powered eyepiece and 3x Barlow may as well go straight into the bin.

Why not start off in astronomy with a good pair of 7 x 50 or 10 x 50 binoculars instead. You'll certainly get a decent pair and a binocular observing book for less than €120. Learn the night sky, join a club and go along to some observing sessions to look at and through a variety of telescopes. If you must have a telescope now, spend a bit more and get a larger aperture and better quality scope.

Gordon

More
19 years 5 months ago #6296 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: Advice on Ad for Telescope
A good rule of thumb is if you see an advert quoting 'magnification', then steer clear... Magnification really means nothing in a scope specification. Aperture and quality of optics is what's important.

525X magnification on a scope like that would be rubbish.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
19 years 5 months ago #6297 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Advice on Ad for Telescope
It sounds like a hobby killer alright, stay clea of it, go to GAC for advice on getting a proper one.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 5 months ago #6303 by Tim Carr
Replied by Tim Carr on topic Re: Advice on Ad for Telescope
Indeed it sounds like a 60mm with too much magnification for the aperture.The most mag. you could use for deep-sky observing is about 75x or so.For moon and planets up to 100 might not be too bad but if you want good value in a scope contact Andromeda Optics on the web or mabey GerryMoloney might have something to sell
I even have a decent 60mm myself which I might sell for a good price. Let me know if you are interested
Cheerrio,Tim
timcarr2003@eircom.net

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds