Dunsink

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
19 years 4 months ago #6859 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Dunsink

Also astronomy.ie has consulted with Prof McBreen and is assisting him with the collation of responses from AI sources. Unless someone has been using astronomy.ie without the permission of its owners I'm fairly certain nothing else went out. (I generally get a copy of everything that goes out of astronomy.ie).

Fair enough. I got forwarded the AI mail from a couple of people who got other emails also and they found it suspicious that the email address had been altered on the AI one.

In any case as you say, please just send the email once to avoid having to sort out duplicates.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 4 months ago #6863 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Dunsink

In any case as you say, please just send the email once to avoid having to sort out duplicates.

Cheers,
~Al

"Exactement" as they say en France!

The main thing as I see it is that people do sign the letter and let those bureaucrats know the Irish astronomy community means business and isnt gonna take this lying down.

Clear Skies,

Dave.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 4 months ago #6864 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: Dunsink

The mail sent by AI asking people to support this worthy cause has not been altered in any way. It is copied verbatim.

Okay, I don't want to turn this into a federal case, as that would diminish from what we're trying to accomplish. But ~Al was correct. The letter that was forwarded by AI was slightly different from the original.

'Original version'
Dear Colleagues,

Please find enclosed a copy of a letter to the Minister for Education and Science concerning serious developments regarding the future of Dunsink Observatory. We ask all of you to send an email back (with your name and affiliation or address) indicating your willingness to sign this letter.

AI circulated version
Dear Colleagues,

Please find enclosed (as attachment) a copy of a letter to the Minister for Education and Science concerning serious developments regarding the future of Dunsink Observatory. We ask all of you to send an email back (with your name and affiliation or address) to dunsink@astronomy.ie indicating your willingness to sign this letter.

No big deal.

The only thing that is different is the inclusion of the Astronomy Ireland email address. And they probably got the go-ahead from Prof McBreen anyway. And even if they didn't, what difference does it really make? It's not like DM is going to hoard a secret stash of replies to the letter in his in-box.... !!!

:wink:

P.S. As long as they're not forwarding the mails to subscribe@astronomy.ie .... Sorry, couldn't resist.... :lol:

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
19 years 4 months ago #6866 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Dunsink

The main thing as I see it is that people do sign the letter and let those bureaucrats know the Irish astronomy community means business and isnt gonna take this lying down.

Not just astronomers though. I forwarded the mail onto a few historians on Friday and most were unaware of the situation.

I can't think of anywhere else in Ireland where you can actually go and use such an artifact as the the telescope in Dunsink. Other artifacts would be retired to dusty rooms, or be unuseable in a display in some museum. This telescope is tangable, useable, still in situ history.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• DaveGrennan
More
19 years 4 months ago #6872 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Dunsink
I asked Dave Moore about this. Dave tells me that the dunsink@astronomy.ie address directly and immediately forwards to Brian Mc Breen's mailbox and also confirms to the sender that their message has been delivered. Something which Brians mailbox has been unable to achieve. This has all been done in full consultation with Prof. McBreen. DM also tells me that since his mailing the number of signatures has snowballed. This can only be a good thing and as I said earlier maybe the 'powers that be' might sit up and take notice.

Heres hoping!

Clear Skies,

Dave.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds