Help and advice needed

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 4 months ago #7275 by Bill_H
Help and advice needed was created by Bill_H
Hi all, Can anyone give me some help. I have now managed to aline the finder scope and initiate the goto function on the LX90. I have tried out the goto - even tho' it's daylight - by sending it to Uranus, saturn, which it tells me hasn't risen yet, Polaris etc. everything seems to be working ok. One thing that isn't clear to me is; when I get it to go to Saturn, for example, does it automatically track saturn, or do I have to tell it to track? Sorry for what may seem a silly quetion to all you experienced people. I do have many more silly questions, but I shall only subject you all to one at a time :oops:
Bill H

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #7276 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Help and advice needed

when I get it to go to Saturn, for example, does it automatically track saturn, or do I have to tell it to track? Sorry for what may seem a silly quetion to all you experienced people. I do have many more silly questions, but I shall only subject you all to one at a time Bill H

Once the scope finds the target, it begins tracking. If the object is not quite centred in the field-of-view by the GoTo function, just use the hand control directional arrows to do so and then enjoy the views.

Gordon

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 4 months ago #7277 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Help and advice needed
Many thanks Gordon.
Bill h

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 4 months ago #7544 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Help and advice needed
I fount with the ETX that no matter how carefully you align , the goto function almost invariably places the object off center first time. When you center it with the handpaddle it just slews back to the original off center orientation immediately. I actually found the best way to get it dead center everytime is once the alingnment is done I do a goto. I then adjust the legs of the tripod slightly to center the object. The object continues tracking.

Somebody told me to press the enter button on the autostar for 2 seconds once you center the object with the handpaddle but this doesnt work for me.

Regards,

Dave.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 4 months ago #7550 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Help and advice needed

I actually found the best way to get it dead center everytime is once the alingnment is done I do a goto. I then adjust the legs of the tripod slightly to center the object.

Thats the thing with goto/auto tracking telescopes - even home made ones. They will be extremely accurate in their tracking, but MUST be on level ground in order to get that desired object dead center every time.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 4 months ago #7553 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Help and advice needed

I

Somebody told me to press the enter button on the autostar for 2 seconds once you center the object with the handpaddle but this doesnt work for me.

Regards,

Dave.

With the ETX 70, once the slew has finished and if the object isnt centered, you center it with the autostar NSEW buttons, and once your'e happy with it, you depress the ENTER key for about 5 seconds and leave go, it will ask do you want to center, press yes by pressing ENTER again.
Works for me.
This also works on LX200 scopes.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds