K-Tec

ConnsCameras Celestron sale! i got a bargain!Well worth a visit

More
15 years 4 months ago #75586 by james335k
I don't think its all Celestron's fault. It's a combination of Ireland's main dealer of Celestron products (I won't name anybody but i'm sure we all know!) and David Hinds in the UK with whom the scopes are imported through. I was told by a very helpful member of staff in Conns Cameras.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hal9500
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
15 years 4 months ago #75589 by hal9500
james335k wrote:

I don't think its all Celestron's fault. It's a combination of Ireland's main dealer of Celestron products (I won't name anybody but i'm sure we all know!) and David Hinds in the UK with whom the scopes are imported through. I was told by a very helpful member of staff in Conns Cameras.

I completely agree. After all hinds supplies other stores in the uk and ireland. None are as expensive as AI. Its time to admit it folks. We are being ripped off!

So on another note anyone check out conns, for some bargains!

If we could cut all power to dublin, i might actually see something!

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
15 years 4 months ago #75594 by DaveGrennan
I just had a quick scout around the net and I find a pattern. I looked at the Nexstar 6 SE. They are all around the 1100 mark in the eurozone. At least the ones I looked at, but the UK ones are significantly cheaper. Now I now the sudden drop in Sterling prices does accentuate the difference, but in fairness, it really doesn't account for the higher prices in the eurozone. There was a radio series a while back which looked at how UK stores up their prices in the ROI. You know the big UK multiples. The findings were really quite shocking. Point is, its not just telescopes which are being sold at inflated prices, a lot of stuff is. That program said that after you take into account the currency differences (now almost parity) and VAT the cost of doing business in the ROI accounts for at most an extra 10% (according to Forfas).

Getting to the point of the thread. Conns seemed to be selling stuff at very similar prices to the UK, given that some of this happened while sterling was quite high, shipping costs, VAT difference and that forfas 10% ask yourself how did they do this? I know, but I can't state it here.
What I can say is it was never gonna last. Another clue is that Conns don't rely on telescope sales, cameras are their main business so go figure it out.

So what can be done about it? I'm afraid noble as John Hoare's sentiments are, thats never gonna happen. You5r really talking about US/Euro trade agreements. If the EU were to go and ban certain products like that, the US would start banning euro products and you just end up with a trade war. The best hope is that celestron in the US wake up and smell the roses and see that whats happening is hurting their business

Just to finish, be careful not to wish too hard. If we all had our way and all prices (not just scopes) were brought in line with the UK then our salaries would have to fall to match. Basic economics there and we would be back to square one because a product would again be costing a higher % of our household income.

Anyway what yas waiting for. That half price gear won't last forever!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• hal9500
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #75596 by hal9500
Again id like to state that i didnt want to push the discussion in this direction. But in all honesty. Nexstar 6se 749 UK roughly 800 euro. 1169 euro in AI. Hinds supplies both AI and the UK resellers. Why the difference in price? My gut tells me that AI (and i want to be straight i like AI and im a member, of AI) is putting a greater margin on there equipment.

Now i also just wanna be clear, the main reason i posted was to let all yee know that theres deals to be had in Conns. I already regret not buying there 22.5MM Celestron 2" Ultima eyepiece which they offered for 100euro! Theres tonnes of stuff in there. So lets go!! Grab a bargain. I used my X-cels, and the sky light filter last night to view saturn, and what a view. Id highly recommend a skylight filter for any nexstar or schmidt owners. and for 20euro you cant go on!!!

Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by hal9500.

• DaveGrennan
More
15 years 4 months ago #75599 by DaveGrennan
I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you Hal. What it looks like is that AI haven't taken account of the fact that sterling has gone through the floor. At the very least the difference should be split between consumer and retailer.

But AI are not alone here, for example, the nexstar 6SE is 1199E in telescope-service in Germany. 1190 in another French retailer I checked. I just think the real question is why the difference between the UK and Eurozone?

You got thoise new eyepieces yet. Have they got much left in conns. Might pop in tomorrow.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• hal9500
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
15 years 4 months ago #75606 by hal9500
i got 2 x-cels, but let me tell you there is literally a box of x-cels, some ultimas, tones of filter sets, UV filters, skylight filters, colminating eyepieces... Theres tones of stuff. i would genuinely recommend you check it out. The equipment isnt on display but if you ask the staff they will bring the box down for you. Well worth a trip. The X-Cels are great for planetary viewing.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds