K-Tec

A 17000 sqft cave home near 2017 eclipse centerline

• cloudsail
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
15 years 2 months ago #76808 by cloudsail
The maximum totality of the 2017 total solar eclipse will give me an excuse to visit the "huckleberry Finn" part of the U.S. where one great grandfather lost the farm and another made his fortune (oil). Unfortunately history is repeating itself and when I read this story about a family cave which is being foreclosed upon. Their cave is in Festus, MO which is not far north of the centerline where the maximum of the 2017 total solar eclipse will occur.

It's too bad someone can't buy it and let it to back to the family with the stipulation that they would have some astronomically minded guests sleepover for a few days in 2017. Even in the midwestern U.S. it isn't often you'll find a 17,000 sq foot property up for sale for only $300k (240,000 Euros... Dublin apartment prices?)

Because of my family history and the fact that many friends and relatives still live within a long day's drive of St. Louis, I'll probably watch the eclipse from there. But summer weather in the midwest can be extremely unstable (Not just dust bowls and Dorthy's tornado, but these mushroom shaped 'supercell' thunderstorms the size of Ireland plowing across the country like a land hurricane.) But for astronomers without local family connections, I wonder whether it might be a better option to shave precious seconds off totality in an Idaho or eastern Oregon desert. I guess we'll have time to decide. I love the fact that Eclipses force you to plan ahead for medium long term!

'History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme - Mark Twain.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds