K-Tec

Spectroscopy - any interest in such a category?

• mjc
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 1 month ago #77744 by mjc
It may be that I haven't looked hard enough but there appears to be little interest in spectroscopy in the IFAS site.

I mentioned in my intro to the group that I have dabbled - with little success - in spectroscopy. I appreciate that there is some interest in that Dave G. responded with the information that he is attempting to construct a high-resoluton spectrograph - I wonder if we should have a spectroscopy category.

I have obtained a spectrum of Arcturus - using a difraction grating and a monochrome CCD imager - and unlike my experience with the Meade colour CMOS LPI imager have a shape that closely corresponds to the classic black-body curve. (I expected significant deviation due to different QE across the spectrum)

I still need to go through various callibration steps but my gut feel is that some value can be had even with a difraction grating.

I hope to synthesise a black body curve to which I can callibrate my data of one or more stars.

The max of a spectrum should correlate with the surface temperature and I suspect that given several star captures and a synthesised black-body spectrum one can calibrate captured data.

Other ideas going through my mind include capturing a spectrum through a H-Alpha (or other narrow band filter) for callibration purposes.

Does this ring anyone's bell?

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #77746 by albertw
There is occasional interest.

I did a little a few years back ago for a project but it was pretty basic. My paper on it might be of interest though you are probably beyond that already. www.cademuir.eu/images/spec.pdf

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
15 years 1 month ago #77750 by Keith g
Mark / Albert, there is relatively lively activity on the cloudynights forum for variable stars, some people there do that...

Have a go...Nytecam in particular is one of the main men

www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/postlist...collapsed/sb/5/o/all

Keith..

More
15 years 1 month ago #77759 by artyfarty
Being colour blind spectroscopy isn't high on my list of things to do : blink:

There is a 10 page article on the subject in the May edition of Astronomy Now pages 59 - 69

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds