• Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
14 years 9 months ago #79455 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re:Shipping From The States
Michael wrote:

How 'bout Star Trek

I orders the remastered original series from CDWOW and today received a letter from the Customs asking for invoices / item costs etc. with a view to charging duty/VAT etc.

I've never had a DVD stopped before.

Michael.

This is getting ridiculous :angry:

Nah! Not really. :silly:

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #79456 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re:Shipping From The States
Michael - Customs are probably getting really fussy now that revenue levels had dropped significantly. I reckon we'll see a lot more of these overseas shipments being checked and people being asked to pay duty/vat.

And just to make it clear once more, I've no problem whatsoever paying whatever taxes, duty, charges etc are payable.

As an update on my own situation, I was told that Customs are having a new computer system installed - hence the delay of 7 days...

But there was also another gotcha. And I'll mention it for the benefit of anyone shipping stuff to/from abroad either for purchase or repair/service.

The shipping company, having been giving the all-clear from Customs, actually pay Customs the VAT. The shipping company then charges it back to the customer. Fair enough? You bet.

The VAT payable on my repair charge was €11.84. Happy days - I'm delighted to be doing my bit for Irland Inc. But wait, what's this additional €13.50 charge from UPS for? Oh of course, its their fee for paying Customs on my behalf. Oh, and its chargable at 21.5% VAT - so it totals €16.40.

A €16.40 fee going to the carrier for paying a VAT bill of €11.84 on my behalf...

As a parting shot to UPS, I explained that I would hand the delivery driver a cheque. I mentioned that my "cheque signing fee" is €32.00 plus VAT. I asked UPS where I should send the invoice. Needless to say, I've not received a reply, yet...

So, when shipping to/from abroad, do your homework:
1. Get all your paperwork in order before, during and after shipment
2. Get an up-front price off the courier and demand to know what hidden charges will apply
3. Pray....

Having said all this, I'd no choice but to ship the focuser for repair or I'd simply have €1500 quids worth of precision engineered aluminium and brass to use as a paperweight.

Dave

More
14 years 9 months ago #79458 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Shipping From The States
Ah, but a very nice paperweight Dave.
Just think of all those copies of last weeks newspapers it could keep tidy for you...

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds