K-Tec

Weather lookin good for next week

More
14 years 7 months ago #80769 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re:Weather lookin good for next week
DaveGrennan wrote:

Calibos wrote:

OH NO!! I just ordered a Servocat and Sky Commander for me Dob!

Excellent. I'll be interested to see how you get on with that. Please let us know.

No problem Dave. I have a vision of Knightrider(me scope) and Dave Lillis' servocat equipped Obsessionator set up side by side some night under a pristine Burren sky with the Blue Danube playing in the background and both big dobs waltzing around the sky in synchronised slews.
.You're whistling the Blue Danube right now aren't you :D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #80794 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Weather lookin good for next week
ohh I dont know Keith, I think the 2 scopes would want a shoot out, a so called dob scope arm wrestling competition so to speak. :laugh:
yours on full slew east and mine west and see who falls over first :ohmy: :silly:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by dave_lillis.

More
14 years 7 months ago #80797 by Calibos
Hmmmm :D

Well you've got the advantage of scope size and more powerful motors, so one would think it was no contest and the Obsessionator would crush my tiny 16" Lightbridge into the dust.

....However....

What are usually described as the disadvantages of the cheap Chinese dob over the premium Obsession, ie it being a 16" scope that weights as much as a 20" premium. It having a 32" groundboard which is larger than a 20" Obsessions, The servocat drive hookup by belt and pulley.

Well, all of a sudden they become very big advantages in this competition. Mines as heavy as yours except less top heavy, mines spreads the load a lot wider on the ground, ie a surer footing. And my motors will slip and let my scope rotate in azimuth before either yours or my motor forced the scope over upon meeting resistance by the other scope.

Think of it like you beginning to force me over but me slipping your grip, spinning 360 and delivering a roundhouse on you from behind using your own momentum to knock you on your @ss

:D:D

Or am I over thinking this :D ;)

Keith D.

Nagler 31mm

More
14 years 7 months ago #80798 by dave_lillis
:laugh: :silly:
seriously though, I thought you had removed or modified it to make it lighter?, its hard to believe they're the same weight.

More
14 years 7 months ago #80803 by Calibos
Dave_Lillis wrote:

:laugh: :silly:
seriously though, I thought you had removed or modified it to make it lighter?, its hard to believe they're the same weight.

Are ya jokin' me? Made it lighter?? LMAO :D Put it this way. Base + OTA standard is 128lb. Between Batteries and motors and finders and paracorrs and counterweights and laptop stands and EP boxes etc etc etc, I'm probably pushing 150lb at this stage when its all set up :D:blush: Thankfully I don't have to lift it all in one go. Size of the base fits in the back of my car so the fact its oversized doesn't really matter and me Wheel Barrow handles and wheel chuck mod means I can easily wheel it around in one piece. So although its a poor design compared to a premium or ATM dob and massively heavier and bigger than it needs to be, it was significantly cheaper and I was able to mod it enough to minimise most of its downsides. That said, it was only a viable proposition because I am a reasonably fit 30 something.

Keith D.

Nagler 31mm

More
14 years 7 months ago #80812 by dave_lillis
at the end of the day Keith, its irrelevant if its Chinese/premium (as you call it)or whatever kind of a dob it is.
Its what you do with it that counts.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds