K-Tec

help another beginner

More
19 years 4 months ago #8150 by nosmo
help another beginner was created by nosmo
Some input please -

Got the Lidl skylux which I know enough about to recognise good value for money. Dumped the Index Astrolon on E Bay for half the skylux cost. Got the Celestron lens kit from Adorama.com - also excellent value on straight cost. Add the shipping charge and the £27 customs stabbed me for the duty and it not so cheap as it seems at first glance. But still best value I could find and the kit is fine within my limited ability to comment. Maybe i was not lucky in the customs lottery.
Weather is awful so chances to play with the new toys are limited - impressed so far with the limited trials. I want to fit a clock drive/ra motor. I dont even know if the mount is a Eq1 or eq2 . I think eq 2 from my research but i dont know what will fit.
Can anybody comment on this option before I waste the money please-

www.astroshop.biz/shop/en/182/1532/

drive Nr. 1532 (49) EUR Delivery Time: 3-10 days

Manufactor: Skywatcher
Productdescription
This motor drive with DC engine is meant for the RA axle from installing. It adjusts the earth rotation, then your adjusted stars remain centered. With the provided 9V battery the engine runs approx. 40 hours.

I have researched the modifications reccommended for this scope and it seems to me that the only mod necessary in the last version is the replacement of the stupid 6mm tripod mount screws although this is not so easy. The base unit is 8mm dia holes and the tripod legs 6mm. i made some special adapters ( 6mm i d and 8 mm o d ) to solve this. The only thing left i think about doing is to release the pressure on the front lens but i dont got an adequate test yet to tell me if i should do this or not. Anybody got a comment on this? All research say to slack this 45 degree but so far i got no basis to do this - not on hard data anyway.
Anybody got a copy or www site reference to the "stardust " article.
As a civilian can i say that anything done to support this instrument will probably do more for astronomy in ireland than any government or educational initiative. And i am completely jealous of anybody who got the meade kit for 169€.
Anyway with the skylux i have to learn how to find the things and when the seeing is bad i got lots of screws to twiddle and things to fix.
Incoidentally i got the lidl binos at £20 ( not €20 - another jealousy point) - they ok but i got a set of cheap japanese 20x50 some years ago also cheap and they better. These need some support. Camera/video camera stand on special offer at Makro in Dunmurry £ 6.98 + vat. Reccommend it - ok and comes with two quickchange equipment holders. Better than leaning on the side of the window.

Nosmo King

Whatever you say, say nothin'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds