Greetings from Southern California

• slattts
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 3 months ago #8261 by slattts
Greetings from Southern California was created by slattts
Hello from Thousand Oaks, very glad to see there's a thriving Irish astro-community on the web! I joined on the suggestion of Keith Geary, and I suppose this is my intro. I'm from Tipperary and have lived in California since August 1985, and if anyone suggests that that's almost 20 years I will take offence because I can't possibly be that old.

I have an 8" LX200 SCT with a piggybacked Orion ED80mm refractor, and my main interest besides bad golf is digital-camera astrophotography. Last year I went insane and built a roll-off-roof shed which I grandly refer to as an observatory. It's great to have a 'house' for all the stuff and startup time is just a few minutes.

I started imaging with film in 2000 (bad experience :shock: ), then discovered the Nikon Coolpix and moved on to a Canon D60 and then to (currently) a 10D and a Toucam. Even having pursued this hobby for four years or so, my pictures are still fairly rudimentary compared to some of what's out there. But the equipment is low-budget enough too so I suppose the pictures are not too bad. I don't have a real website but I do house an image list at home.earthlink.net/~dslattery1/images which I update from time to time.

Anyway nice to 'meet' all of you. I hope to relocate back to Tipperary a few years from now and will be keeping an eye on things here to learn a bit more about the Irish astro-scene.

Cheers,

-- Denis Slattery

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8262 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Greetings from Southern California
hi Denis,

good to here from you . . . welcome to the board! I'm from Dromineer myself (outside Nenagh) but am in Dublin a couple of decades :) . I was in L.A. and San Francisco over the Christmas to visit the sisters there (awful lot of rain this time :o ). Hope to head back over again in May for the Riverside Astro-Expo near Big Bear City. Might see you there!

John (Flannery)

More
19 years 3 months ago #8263 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: Greetings from Southern California
Some of your pics are rudimentary?
Some of them are so good I'm beginning to wonder if you have some sort of space craft...
:D

IFAS web team

More
19 years 3 months ago #8266 by astroguy
Replied by astroguy on topic Re: Greetings from Southern California
Hi Denis,

Welcome to the club.
Very good pictures. The detail on mars is incredible.

Are you polar mounted?
Regards
Jouke

LX 200 GPS, Williams optics 80mm APO, Meade LPI, Canon 300D, Skymap pro, Lunar phase pro, Image plus, Exploradome.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8273 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Welcome aboard Denis! :D You're well equipt!, I've been looking at some of your shots, they're great! 8)

Keith..

More
19 years 3 months ago #8274 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Greetings from Southern California
Welcome aboard Denis. Those are indeed excellent images you have there. You must come over here sometime soon and show us what we're all doing wrong! :wink:
Clear skies,

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds