K-Tec

Most spectacular aurora ever? - don't think so

More
19 years 3 months ago #8473 by mjs
Mark,

Sorry for stealing your thunder :oops:

Did you see the images taken by Mark Stronge in Antrim?

I did not know that markdj was you.

Excellent images, I saw your pictures initally on Solar Terrestrial Dispatch

Well done!

Michael Scully

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8476 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Most spectacular aurora ever? - don't think so
I have to say, while even though the aurora of November 24th 2003 was spectacular in that we could see the streams reaching the zenith, the best aurora I ever saw was the massive one of (I think) November 1992 (or around that time). It spread over almost all of the sky, and was very bright with plenty of strong reds and oranges.

It was the best I ever saw.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8497 by markdj
Don't worry about it. I meant to post on here but didn't get the chance - I still haven't made an animation yet but that will happen very shortly. My images are on SpaceWeather.com but not on STD, BTW...

Now, if only clear skies would come ,I could get more astrophotography done.

Mark

Mark,

Sorry for stealing your thunder :oops:

Did you see the images taken by Mark Stronge in Antrim?

I did not know that markdj was you.

Excellent images, I saw your pictures initally on Solar Terrestrial Dispatch

Well done!

Michael Scully

More
19 years 3 months ago #8534 by BrianOHalloran
Replied by BrianOHalloran on topic Re: Most spectacular aurora ever? - don't think so
Best one in recent memory was undoubtedly Nov 8/9, 1991 - an all night, all sky event, with a blood red sky and the only time I've seen blue rays!!! After that, April 2000 and October/November 2003 rank and the next best..... it's a pity the March 1989 event was mostly missed in Ireland due to cloud - by all accounts THAT was quite a display!

More
19 years 3 months ago #8539 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Most spectacular aurora ever? - don't think so

Best one in recent memory was undoubtedly Nov 8/9, 1991 - an all night, all sky event, with a blood red sky and the only time I've seen blue rays!!! After that, April 2000 and October/November 2003 rank and the next best..... it's a pity the March 1989 event was mostly missed in Ireland due to cloud - by all accounts THAT was quite a display!

THATS the one I was trying to remember!

the best aurora I ever saw was the massive one of (I think) November 1992 (or around that time)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8541 by ei5fk
Replied by ei5fk on topic March 1989 event
This was for sure the best aurora since the mid 80's, from a radio point of view nothing compares, it lasted longer, returned after midnight and the next day and was very intense, the 1991 event was excellent but not as good, the 2 in July last year were almost as good as the 1991 aurora
Charles

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds