K-Tec

Newbies first night under clear rural skies

More
19 years 3 months ago #8675 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Newbies first night under clear rural skies

P.S. . . . here's an ode to my own observing yesterday evening . . .

I saw a star last night,
Gleaming with a radiance so bright,
Recently it's been a rare sight,
'Cause the weather's been so sh . . . terrible (like my poetry!)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Very creative John!

S.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8678 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: Newbies first night under clear rural skies
Welcome ftodonoghue,

Likewise, as soon as I moved to the South Kerry countryside and looked up at the night sky I just had to get back into astronomy. This website makes the whole process all the more enjoyable.

Being in the middle of Kerry you can easily get to Tralee and the Kerry Astronomical Society. I am sure mjs will post a message about it later.

And, if you find yourself near Sneem you can have a look through my 10" scope.

However, I can still see a little glow over The Reeks on my photos so if you could turn the lights out afore you come then that will be appreciated.

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
19 years 3 months ago #8683 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Newbies first night under clear rural skies
Thanks James.

I intend to go to tralee for meeting on 8th of feb, and join up. I am looking forward to it. I will have a word with the man about that sky glow for you...

Cheers
Trevor

More
19 years 3 months ago #8694 by mjs
Trevor,

Welcome indeed. We look forward to seeing you next Tuesday. If you need more detailed directions to the ITT's new building then just ask.

Kerry Astronomy Club have been trying to arrange an observing session in Killearny for about a year now but various things have always got in the way. We were looking for a dark but public, (and not too public) observing site in the area. We are hoping to get to the Agadohe Heights carpark this weekend to check out that location. So if the skies are clearish on Fri/Sat night, maybe you would like to join us. Send me a PM (Private mail) and I will ring you if it is a goer.

Michael Scully KAC.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8696 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Newbies first night under clear rural skies
Have you ever considered trying the car park up near Torc on the old Kenmare road? Should be a dark spot south of the town.

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
19 years 3 months ago #8701 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Newbies first night under clear rural skies
I was there the other week to check it out....Nice and dark but too many tall trees surrounding it. Now that you mention it, maybe mangerton mountain might be an option...There is a car park there and past the car park there is a lot of open space....must have a look again

Cheers
Trevor

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds